Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, petergreen@optonline.net wrote on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:47 GMT : > Great pics of ... .... a .SCR virus. [rest snipped] -- #191, ewill3@earthlink.net It's still legal to go .sigless....

  1. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, petergreen@optonline.net

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:47 GMT
    <%Dshc.80360$_g4.17024151@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:
    > Great pics of ...

    .... a .SCR virus.

    [rest snipped]

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  2. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    "GreyCloud" writes:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, petergreen@optonline.net
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:47 GMT
    >> <%Dshc.80360$_g4.17024151@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:
    >>> Great pics of ...

    >> ... a .SCR virus.
    >>

    > Figured that as much too. Took the old HP and hooked it up to the net to
    > see how bad it screws things up.
    > Rebooted and the dial-up dialog box comes up. It wants to 'phone home'. I
    > see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in c:\windows\system but you
    > can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but using attrib -h system2.exe gives
    > you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message. Msconfig only stays up for a split
    > second and regedit won't start. The vulcan nerve pinch to show running
    > processes doesn't show all the processes that normally show up. So... as an
    > exercise, and adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing
    > this one? :-))

    Boot a knoppix CD and run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda, or just melt
    the hard drive.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:37:48 GMT
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, petergreen@optonline.net
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:47 GMT
    >> <%Dshc.80360$_g4.17024151@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:
    >>> Great pics of ...

    >> ... a .SCR virus.
    >>

    > Figured that as much too. Took the old HP and hooked it up to the net to
    > see how bad it screws things up.
    > Rebooted and the dial-up dialog box comes up. It wants to 'phone home'. I
    > see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in c:\windows\system but you
    > can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but using attrib -h system2.exe gives
    > you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message. Msconfig only stays up for a split
    > second and regedit won't start. The vulcan nerve pinch to show running
    > processes doesn't show all the processes that normally show up. So... as an
    > exercise, and adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing
    > this one? :-))

    I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.

    Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random sigh here
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  4. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    GreyCloud wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, petergreen@optonline.net
    > >
    > > wrote
    > > on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:47 GMT
    > > <%Dshc.80360$_g4.17024151@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:
    > >> Great pics of ...

    > > ... a .SCR virus.
    > >

    > Figured that as much too. Took the old HP and hooked it up to the net to
    > see how bad it screws things up.
    > Rebooted and the dial-up dialog box comes up. It wants to 'phone home'. I
    > see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in c:\windows\system but you
    > can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but using attrib -h system2.exe gives
    > you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message. Msconfig only stays up for a split
    > second and regedit won't start. The vulcan nerve pinch to show running
    > processes doesn't show all the processes that normally show up. So... as an
    > exercise, and adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing
    > this one? :-))

    Did you try booting up to MS-DOS mode and see if attrib and del will
    work?

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  5. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    In article ,
    GreyCloud wrote:
    >David J. Dachtera wrote:
    >>GreyCloud wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >>> Figured that as much too. Took the old HP and hooked it up to the
    >>> net to see how bad it screws things up.
    >>> Rebooted and the dial-up dialog box comes up. It wants to 'phone
    >>> home'. I see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in
    >>> c:\windows\system but you can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but
    >>> using attrib -h system2.exe gives you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message.
    >>> Msconfig only stays up for a split second and regedit won't start.
    >>> The vulcan nerve pinch to show running processes doesn't show all
    >>> the processes that normally show up. So... as an exercise, and
    >>> adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing this one?
    >>> :-))

    >> Did you try booting up to MS-DOS mode and see if attrib and del will
    >> work?

    >I booted up into Dos mode and System2.exe does not exist at that level. It
    >seems to be created from another image upon booting into windows as a
    >process masquerading as a file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

    What happens in Safe Mode? Can you determine the size of System2.exe and
    find any files of the same size? How about modification dates?

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  6. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    | In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
    |
    | wrote
    | on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:37:48 GMT
    | :
    || The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    ||| In comp.os.linux.advocacy, petergreen@optonline.net
    ||| wrote
    ||| on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:47 GMT
    ||| ... a .SCR virus.
    || Figured that as much too. Took the old HP and hooked it up to the
    || net to see how bad it screws things up.
    || Rebooted and the dial-up dialog box comes up. It wants to 'phone
    || home'. I see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in
    || c:\windows\system but you can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but
    || using attrib -h system2.exe gives you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message.
    || Msconfig only stays up for a split second and regedit won't start.
    || The vulcan nerve pinch to show running processes doesn't show all
    || the processes that normally show up. So... as an exercise, and
    || adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing this one?
    || :-))
    |
    | I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.
    |
    | Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.

    So, don't use Microsoft !
    If you really must, really have to, then at least don't have settings to run
    attached or embedded scripts automatically.
    You know it makes sense - it is your choice.
    Kevin.

  7. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kevin Lawton

    wrote
    on Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:01:48 +0000 (UTC)
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > | In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
    > |
    > | wrote
    > | on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:37:48 GMT
    > | :
    > || Figured that as much too. Took the old HP and hooked it up to the
    > || net to see how bad it screws things up.
    > || Rebooted and the dial-up dialog box comes up. It wants to 'phone
    > || home'. I see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in
    > || c:\windows\system but you can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but
    > || using attrib -h system2.exe gives you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message.
    > || Msconfig only stays up for a split second and regedit won't start.
    > || The vulcan nerve pinch to show running processes doesn't show all
    > || the processes that normally show up. So... as an exercise, and
    > || adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing this one?
    > || :-))
    > |
    > | I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.
    > |
    > | Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.
    >
    > So, don't use Microsoft !
    > If you really must, really have to, then at least don't have settings to run
    > attached or embedded scripts automatically.
    > You know it makes sense - it is your choice.
    > Kevin.

    Let us hope Mister N00b purchasing his computer is aware of this.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  8. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    The Ghost In The Machine <> wrote:
    | In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kevin Lawton
    | <>
    | wrote
    | on Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:01:48 +0000 (UTC)
    | <>:
    || The Ghost In The Machine <> wrote:
    ||| In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
    ||| <>
    ||| wrote
    ||| on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:37:48 GMT
    ||| I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.
    ||| Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.
    || So, don't use Microsoft !
    || If you really must, really have to, then at least don't have
    || settings to run attached or embedded scripts automatically.
    || You know it makes sense - it is your choice.
    || Kevin.
    |
    | Let us hope Mister N00b purchasing his computer is aware of this.

    I guess it is our responsibility to make sure he (or even she) does. We
    can't expect Mocro$oft to start advertising how full of security holes their
    software is, can we ?
    Kevin.

  9. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Gary Heston wrote:

    > In article ,
    > GreyCloud wrote:
    > >David J. Dachtera wrote:
    > >>GreyCloud wrote:

    > [ ... ]

    > >> Did you try booting up to MS-DOS mode and see if attrib and del will
    > >> work?

    > >I booted up into Dos mode and System2.exe does not exist at that level. It
    > >seems to be created from another image upon booting into windows as a
    > >process masquerading as a file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

    > What happens in Safe Mode? Can you determine the size of System2.exe and
    > find any files of the same size? How about modification dates?

    Yeah - really: there's gotta be SOME clues that can even be detected in
    DOS mode.

    Remember that dir/a will display all files (but not the "long" names in
    DOS mode boot), even hidden ones. Lacking a scroll-back buffer, /p is
    your friend, also.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  10. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Your discussion of booting an old HP machine is appearing in the
    following
    newsgroups:

    Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm, comp.os.cpm.amethyst, comp.os.geos.misc,
    comp.os.geos.programmer, comp.os.inferno, comp.os.lantastic,
    comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.admin

    Those who support this thread might reconsider this list and remove
    some
    of these newgroups as a courtesy in your replies.

  11. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    The Ghost In The Machine schrieb:

    > >> ... a .SCR virus.

    > > see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in c:\windows\system but you
    > > can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but using attrib -h system2.exe gives
    > > you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message. Msconfig only stays up for a split
    > > second and regedit won't start. The vulcan nerve pinch to show running
    > > processes doesn't show all the processes that normally show up. So... as an
    > > exercise, and adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing
    > > this one? :-))
    > >

    > I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.
    >
    > Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.

    I'm not a M$ friend at all, but it wasn't Microsoft making the Net
    dangerous - it is the vast number of DAUs (DAU = 'duemmster
    anzunehmender User' = 'dumbest imaginable user') in the Net that makes
    the Net dangerous. Like people driving trucks without a driving license.

    If someone get a screen saver attachment declared as a picture of Lola,
    and opens it, only a brain transplant can help him. Or _very_ basic
    lessons about the computer he plays with like an ape.

    Even linux does not prevent a user running it as root from putting the
    whole system into /dev/null if he somehow enters this command.

    Those who are unable to learn such basics should better get a
    playstation to play with.

    As for the 'system2.exe', perhaps the 'expert' who reported his
    experience remembers something called 'DOS': with a simple floppy disk
    with DOS (or a bootable Win95/98 CD) there is no problem at all
    remmoving this file before it has a chance of being executed and
    preventing itself from being deleted.

    Grossibaer

    (I removed 'my' newsgroups from the massive crossposting list, as those
    discussions are totally misplaced there. Now it is less massive
    crossposting and I won't see your answers )

  12. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Jens-Michael Gross writes:

    >> > I see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in
    >> > c:\windows\system but you can't delete it. It is a hidden file,
    >> > but using attrib -h system2.exe gives you a Abort, Retry, Fail?
    >> > message. Msconfig only stays up for a split second and regedit
    >> > won't start. The vulcan nerve pinch to show running processes
    >> > doesn't show all the processes that normally show up. So... as
    >> > an exercise, and adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go
    >> > about removing this one? :-))
    >> >

    >> I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.
    >>
    >> Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.

    > I'm not a M$ friend at all, but it wasn't Microsoft making the Net
    > dangerous - it is the vast number of DAUs (DAU = 'duemmster
    > anzunehmender User' = 'dumbest imaginable user') in the Net that makes
    > the Net dangerous. Like people driving trucks without a driving license.
    >
    > If someone get a screen saver attachment declared as a picture of Lola,
    > and opens it, only a brain transplant can help him. Or _very_ basic
    > lessons about the computer he plays with like an ape.
    >
    > Even linux does not prevent a user running it as root from putting the
    > whole system into /dev/null if he somehow enters this command.

    True. I heard a story about some guy who came into a Mac shop with a
    laptop, and wanted some help. He had run a command he'd been told
    about on the Net, and now nothing worked any more. The command was
    "rm -rf /".

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  13. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jens-Michael Gross

    wrote
    on Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:53:52 +0200
    <408AD3E0.F3BC8C98@grossibaer.de>:

    >> > see that a system2.exe is temporarily created in c:\windows\system but you
    >> > can't delete it. It is a hidden file, but using attrib -h system2.exe gives
    >> > you a Abort, Retry, Fail? message. Msconfig only stays up for a split
    >> > second and regedit won't start. The vulcan nerve pinch to show running
    >> > processes doesn't show all the processes that normally show up. So... as an
    >> > exercise, and adaware 6.0 doesn't see it, how does one go about removing
    >> > this one? :-))
    >> >

    >> I assume you had a full physical backup of Win2k. :-) But yuck.
    >>
    >> Congratulations again Microsoft. You've made the Net dangerous.

    > I'm not a M$ friend at all, but it wasn't Microsoft making the Net
    > dangerous - it is the vast number of DAUs (DAU = 'duemmster
    > anzunehmender User' = 'dumbest imaginable user') in the Net that makes
    > the Net dangerous. Like people driving trucks without a driving license.
    >
    > If someone get a screen saver attachment declared as a picture of Lola,
    > and opens it, only a brain transplant can help him. Or _very_ basic
    > lessons about the computer he plays with like an ape.
    >
    > Even linux does not prevent a user running it as root from putting the
    > whole system into /dev/null if he somehow enters this command.
    >
    > Those who are unable to learn such basics should better get a
    > playstation to play with.
    >
    > As for the 'system2.exe', perhaps the 'expert' who reported his
    > experience remembers something called 'DOS': with a simple floppy disk
    > with DOS (or a bootable Win95/98 CD) there is no problem at all
    > remmoving this file before it has a chance of being executed and
    > preventing itself from being deleted.

    An interesting point. Windows is a *very* open system --
    if one knows the openings. (No, I'm not talking about
    the occasional virus buffer overflow issues. Anyone
    can replace a .DLL if they know the calling sequences
    therein, and have Administrator access. Linux also has
    that capability, although in Linux it's probably better
    documented -- though I'm wondering if Windows has now shied
    away from "hidden API's" in light of some DoJ and user complaints.
    I'd have to look.)

    Of course the most open system I can think of is
    DomainOS, in its heyday (late 80's); it was a simple
    matter to copy an executable, make a trivial patch (e.g.,
    name_$resolve_stop_short became name__resolve_stop_short),
    guess at the number of parameters, bind (their version of
    '/bin/ld') a little Pascal trace stub that calls the real
    routine and prints out the parameters, and see what that
    command is doing when calling an unknown system routine.

    Fun to play with, especially since name_$resolve_stop_short,
    like many other routines, wasn't in the include file or
    documented.

    (DomainOS was interesting in that one could run objects, as
    opposed to requiring an executable. It's a bit like running
    ../program.o -- although Linux is rather close to allowing
    running such; an executable is full of undefined references and
    a little stubloader (/lib/ld-linux.so.* in many installations)
    to find them.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  14. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    >As for the 'system2.exe', perhaps the 'expert' who reported his
    >experience remembers something called 'DOS': with a simple floppy disk
    >with DOS (or a bootable Win95/98 CD) there is no problem at all
    >remmoving this file before it has a chance of being executed and
    >preventing itself from being deleted.
    >
    >Grossibaer

    Good old 'DOS' will not see the file if the drive is formatted in NTFS
    for sure and possibly not if formatted in FAT32. So that leaves that
    option out.

  15. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    > [...]
    > If someone get a screen saver attachment declared as a picture of Lola,
    > and opens it, only a brain transplant can help him. Or _very_ basic
    > lessons about the computer he plays with like an ape.
    > [...]

    Windows still takes a fair share of the blame since its default setup is
    awfully insecure. In fact, does MS make anything that's conceivably
    vulnerable, *not* insecure in its default setup?

    [follow-up header had to be set, since my ISP's news server wouldn't
    allow me to post a message to so many groups without it]

  16. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Herb Johnson wrote:

    > Your discussion of booting an old HP machine is appearing in the
    > following
    > newsgroups:

    [...]

    Whom and what are you replying to?

  17. Re: Great pics of Busty Lola EuroBabe

    Charlie wrote:

    > Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    >

    > >As for the 'system2.exe', perhaps the 'expert' who reported his
    > >experience remembers something called 'DOS': with a simple floppy disk
    > >with DOS (or a bootable Win95/98 CD) there is no problem at all
    > >remmoving this file before it has a chance of being executed and
    > >preventing itself from being deleted.
    > >
    > >Grossibaer
    > >

    > Good old 'DOS' will not see the file if the drive is formatted in NTFS
    > for sure and possibly not if formatted in FAT32. So that leaves that
    > option out.

    AFAIK, W/9x does not support NTFS, and neither W/XP nor W2K provide for
    a "boot to DOS" mode.

    When booted in DOS mode from the boot menu (F8, I think), "long" file
    names do not display, just the "ABCDEF~1.IJK" name. When booted in DOS
    mode from the Windows shutdown menu, LFN display s/b available.

    FAT16 or FAT32 is not relevant here as both provide for Windows support
    of LFNs under W/9x.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems