A good Linux Book?!?! - Linux

This is a discussion on A good Linux Book?!?! - Linux ; What is a good book for a sys-admin familiar with other OS's but is new to Linux??...

  1. A good Linux Book?!?!

    What is a good book for a sys-admin familiar with other OS's but is new to Linux??

  2. Re: A good Linux Book?!?!

  3. Re: A good Linux Book?!?!

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:53:57 -0700, SMSnider wrote:

    > What is a good book for a sys-admin familiar with other OS's but is new to Linux??

    "Running Linux" Matt Welsh et al, O'Reilly ISBN 0-596-00272-6

    This is a good book if you are familiar with Windows and just starting
    with Linux. If you are familiar with Unix then you have a big leg up.
    Running Linux will probably still help you by giving you a sense of how
    Linux (rapidly changing) differs from UNIX (less so).

    He says:

    "...as far as using and programming the system is concerned, Linux doesn't
    differ greatly from other implementations of Unix in most respects. In
    fact, this book is mean to be complemented by the large library of Unix
    books currently available; here we present the most important
    Linux-specific details and hope you will look to other sources for more
    in depth information."

    I think the book is a great overview of Linux, written in a friendly open
    way. I bought it after reading accounts of how much other people had
    learned from it and I haven't been disappointed in the slightest.

    I hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread