A little help with using Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on A little help with using Linux - Linux ; I have set up a memory drive for my personal use for at home and work use. > I using the Knoppix 3.3 build CD and am booting with "knoppix home=/dev/sdb1" for a persistant home directory/drive. All is well with ...

  1. A little help with using Linux

    I have set up a memory drive for my personal use for at home and work
    use. << I find I need my files and stuff at both locations >>

    I using the Knoppix 3.3 build CD and am booting with "knoppix
    home=/dev/sdb1" for a persistant home directory/drive.

    All is well with this setup. It seams to work just like an installed
    version except for passwords (USB drive is PW protected (no problem
    though)).

    At work I am connected to the net through the NAT gateway and through a
    firewall. At home I have this computer just dial into my internet
    connection. All seems to be OK with this.

    My wife's computer is usually connected to the net through this machine
    using NAT. Now with knoppix running on it, it no longer passes through
    her IP traffic. How can I set knoppix to allow this as a NAT connection
    point? I'm trying to stay out of Win2000 as much as possible. Need it
    only for games and such.

    Also, I could use some application recommendations as to catalogging and
    managing OGG (a lot of) and MP3 (only a few) files. I am a registered
    user of the JRiver Media Center Version 9. So, those of you who know
    this program can understand how spoiled I am about my music catalog.

    Knoppix has the players for these files but I haven't found anything
    that does a good job of catalogging and organizing.

    Also, I could use something to replace my "Advanced Disc Catalog"
    program too, now that I'm thinking about it.

    My main reason for wanting to go more onto Linux is due to all the
    viruses and exploits that seem to plague Windows. And I also don't like
    what I've been reading about that Longhorn thingy that Microsoft wants
    to shove up my ass! That ain't gonna happen, so here I am.

    Now that it's on my mind... We REALLY need to find a way to boot
    Win2000 or Win98 from a CD. So we can put Linux on the hard drive and
    play the Win games from a custom CD.

    OK I'm done.

  2. Re: A little help with using Linux

    Kenneth Lantrip wrote:

    > At work I am connected to the net through the NAT gateway and through a
    > firewall. At home I have this computer just dial into my internet
    > connection. All seems to be OK with this.
    >
    > My wife's computer is usually connected to the net through this machine
    > using NAT. Now with knoppix running on it, it no longer passes through
    > her IP traffic. How can I set knoppix to allow this as a NAT connection
    > point? I'm trying to stay out of Win2000 as much as possible. Need it
    > only for games and such.

    You need to set up IP-Masquerading on the Knoppix machine by the sounds
    of it. Se the HOWTO at:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquer...WTO/index.html

  3. Re: A little help with using Linux

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    > You need to set up IP-Masquerading on the Knoppix machine by the sounds
    > of it. Se the HOWTO at:
    >
    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquer...WTO/index.html

    That's what I needed. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread