Which backup software to use? - Linux

  2. Re: Which backup software to use?

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:16:29 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
    wrote:

    > Okay... I finally spent the money to buy a tape drive for my
    >personal linux box at home. While I have the disk space to back up to
    >hard drive, it isn't a feasible option to rip the backup disks out of
    >a machine to store So in comes a tape drive.
    >
    > The problem I am having now, is which software to use for it.
    >I'm currently limited to what is already available on the OS, or is
    >freely downloadable from the net (read: GNU). So that limits me
    >to tar, dump, dd, afio, pax, cpio. The big concern out of all of this,
    >is that there are different filesystem formats on the machine; namely
    >reiserfs and ext3. Reiserfs can not be backed up with dump, and
    >recently, Linus mentioned that dump, tar, and cpio are on his crap
    >list. The others don't have strong peformance records either. So the
    >question is, since I have 2 formats, which software would be best for
    >backing up? Also, I'm limited to one tape at the moment, but a full
    >backup can be stored onto that one tape.
    >
    > Any insights into what best could be used, I'd greatly
    >appreaciate.
    >
    > BL.

    Amanda (http://www.amanda.org/) seems to be widely used,
    although it wants to use separate tapes.
    I wrote my own shell script to do full, incremental and
    differential backups using afio. The restore part was manual but it
    did work (both for tests and for restores from unintential deletes). I
    was using a combination of ext3 and reiserfs.
    There are other methods out there - using shell scripts or
    Perl scripts. I don't have a list because none really did what I
    wanted. I think they all came from sourceforge, though.
    -------
    Remove underscores from e-mail address.

  3. Re: Which backup software to use?

    wrote:

    > Okay... I finally spent the money to buy a tape drive for my
    >personal linux box at home. While I have the disk space to back up to
    >hard drive, it isn't a feasible option to rip the backup disks out of
    >a machine to store So in comes a tape drive.
    >
    > The problem I am having now, is which software to use for it.
    >I'm currently limited to what is already available on the OS, or is
    >freely downloadable from the net (read: GNU). So that limits me
    >to tar, dump, dd, afio, pax, cpio. The big concern out of all of this,
    >is that there are different filesystem formats on the machine; namely
    >reiserfs and ext3. Reiserfs can not be backed up with dump, and
    >recently, Linus mentioned that dump, tar, and cpio are on his crap
    >list. The others don't have strong peformance records either. So the
    >question is, since I have 2 formats, which software would be best for
    >backing up? Also, I'm limited to one tape at the moment, but a full
    >backup can be stored onto that one tape.
    >
    > Any insights into what best could be used, I'd greatly
    >appreaciate.
    >
    > BL.

    I'd spend the $50.00 for BRU personal. You should look into it -
    nicely flexible, robust enough to recover the data if you find a bad
    spot on the tape, has a GUI interface if you lean that way but you can
    also use the cli to batch jobs. That second point is critical if this
    is really for backup of a hot system... The logical next step from
    using tar, which (I think) is the best of the lot included in standard
    distros.

    Whatever you opt to use, I'd recommend doing some tests on what
    happens when you need to restore and discover a bad spot on the tape -
    it happens often enough that you really should be up on how to handle
    it. Most simple backup apps, you've simply lost everything on the
    tape past the bad spot. That's why I like BRU.

    Mike-

    --
    If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
    --

+ Reply to Thread