Linux Authentication Failing - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Authentication Failing - Linux ; Hi All, I have problem in linux authentication. I have set up my linux box to authenticate against a LDAP server. Here is the scenario: I use openLDAP with BDB as my LDAP server. My nsswitch.conf has the format of ...

  1. Linux Authentication Failing

    Hi All,

    I have problem in linux authentication. I have set up my
    linux box to authenticate against a LDAP server. Here is the scenario:

    I use openLDAP with BDB as my LDAP server.

    My nsswitch.conf has the format of "files ldap" for passwd, group and
    shadow.

    I have few users in the LDAP server and few users in the passwd file.

    When the slapd process is started, the authentication against LDAP
    server works fine. But if I shutdown the slapd process and try to
    login, the authentication for the users in the password file fails.
    When the slapd process is started up everybody can login i.e. the
    users in the LDAP database as well as users in the passwd file.

    My understanding of the whole process was the authentication mechanism
    first looks into the password file and then into the ldap server for
    user existence. So logically speaking the users in the passwd file
    should be able to log in whether the slapd process is started up or
    not.

    I am completely lost here and any help is totally appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ajit

  2. Re: Linux Authentication Failing

    avarahala@hotmail.com (Ajit Varahala) wrote in message news:<6d8aa700.0404070955.5cae3a34@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have problem in linux authentication. I have set up my
    > linux box to authenticate against a LDAP server. Here is the scenario:
    >
    > I use openLDAP with BDB as my LDAP server.
    >
    > My nsswitch.conf has the format of "files ldap" for passwd, group and
    > shadow.
    >
    > I have few users in the LDAP server and few users in the passwd file.
    >

    > When the slapd process is started, the authentication against LDAP
    > server works fine. But if I shutdown the slapd process and try to
    > login, the authentication for the users in the password file fails.
    > When the slapd process is started up everybody can login i.e. the
    > users in the LDAP database as well as users in the passwd file.
    >
    > My understanding of the whole process was the authentication mechanism
    > first looks into the password file and then into the ldap server for
    > user existence. So logically speaking the users in the passwd file
    > should be able to log in whether the slapd process is started up or
    > not.
    >
    > I am completely lost here and any help is totally appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ajit

    If the passwd file is on the local machine then yes if slapd is
    running or not you should be able to login. If you shutdown and
    restart slapd try running getent passwd from the command line on a
    client and see if it returns the ldap passwd file. To make sure add a
    user on the server and load the entry into the ldap databse then you
    can see if that user is returned from the client. I am using the same
    authentication method but have all the users on the ldap server not on
    the client it self and I have only had problems due to my firewall set
    up so I am really not sure why this is. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread