root password trashed - Linux

This is a discussion on root password trashed - Linux ; I've been setting up a Linux box using the most recent download of Debian. Everything was fine until last night, when I was trying to get the kinks out of the Samba config. My machine locked up as I closed ...

  1. root password trashed

    I've been setting up a Linux box using the most recent download
    of Debian. Everything was fine until last night, when I was
    trying to get the kinks out of the Samba config. My machine
    locked up as I closed the user password manager and I couldn't
    do anything. I ended up turning off the machine and it wouldn't
    reboot. I powered it completely off (i.e. unplugged to get past
    the not-really-off off/on switch) and left it til this morning.
    Now it boots fine, but it doesn't recognize the root password!
    My other user id is fine, but not root - and I hadn't gotten around
    to giving my other user id root privileges yet.

    Any fixes other than a complete reinstall?

    Mike

  2. Re: root password trashed

    Michael Daly wrote:

    > I've been setting up a Linux box using the most recent download
    > of Debian. Everything was fine until last night, when I was
    > trying to get the kinks out of the Samba config. My machine
    > locked up as I closed the user password manager and I couldn't
    > do anything. I ended up turning off the machine and it wouldn't
    > reboot. I powered it completely off (i.e. unplugged to get past
    > the not-really-off off/on switch) and left it til this morning.
    > Now it boots fine, but it doesn't recognize the root password!
    > My other user id is fine, but not root - and I hadn't gotten around
    > to giving my other user id root privileges yet.
    >
    > Any fixes other than a complete reinstall?
    >
    > Mike

    Boot to single user mode,
    then passwd
    then reboot

    --
    "I'm really enjoying not talking to you ...
    Let's not talk again REAL soon ..."

  3. Re: root password trashed

    On 4-Apr-2004, Baho Utot wrote:

    > Boot to single user mode,