tmpfs and swap - Linux

This is a discussion on tmpfs and swap - Linux ; Hi. I'm need using tmpfs without _any_ swaping data on it, but i can't disable swaping at all. Am i do this? PS. Debian 3.0, 2.4.24. WBR, Dmitry...

  1. tmpfs and swap

    Hi.

    I'm need using tmpfs without _any_ swaping data on it, but i can't
    disable swaping at all. Am i do this?

    PS. Debian 3.0, 2.4.24.

    WBR, Dmitry

  2. Re: tmpfs and swap

    dima@martelcom.ru (Dmitry N. Budanov) writes:

    > I'm need using tmpfs without _any_ swaping data on it, but i can't
    > disable swaping at all. Am i do this?

    This isn't possible with tmpfs. ramfs might be a better choice if you
    don't want any swapping.

    --
    Roger Leigh

    Printing on GNU/Linux? http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848. Please sign and encrypt your mail.

  3. Re: tmpfs and swap

    dima@martelcom.ru (Dmitry N. Budanov) wrote in message news:<249dbe14.0404010151.7b0762e9@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm need using tmpfs without _any_ swaping data on it, but i can't
    > disable swaping at all. Am i do this?
    >
    > PS. Debian 3.0, 2.4.24.
    >
    > WBR, Dmitry

    Not an expert with tmpfs, but I don't think it's possible -- tmpfs
    _is_ a virtual memory file system and the VFS controls it.

    $ man mount
    Mount options for tmpfs indicates only size and "mode" (permission)
    options.

    For background try this:
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ary/l-fs3.html

    I think you'll have to use a ramdisk.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  4. Re: tmpfs and swap

    > I'm need using tmpfs without _any_ swaping data on it, but i can't
    > disable swaping at all. Am i do this?

    If you want to disable swapping, don't mount a swap partition. : )

    Let's say that you have 512 megs of memory, and set aside 256 of it for
    a tmpfs/ramdrive to use for swap. You have 256 megs of ram, and 256 megs
    of swap, letting your machine use... 512 megs of memory. You might as
    well disable the swap, and let it use the same 512 megs of memory without
    the overhead.

    (One possibility would be to use some memory as a *compressed* ramdrive
    to put swap on, but that's likely going to just cause performance
    degredation.)

    steve

  5. Re: tmpfs and swap

+ Reply to Thread