Tracking file access/modification - Linux

This is a discussion on Tracking file access/modification - Linux ; Hello dear newsgroup participants, We have following situation: Shared administration environment, which actually means that sometimes configuration files are modified by different persons and as you can imagine sometimes modification are not coherent . My questions: 1) Have we some ...

  1. Tracking file access/modification

    Hello dear newsgroup participants,

    We have following situation:

    Shared administration environment, which actually means
    that sometimes configuration files are modified by
    different persons and as you can imagine sometimes
    modification are not coherent . My questions:

    1) Have we some common means of logging who
    have accessed and modified files and
    what exactly was modified (CVS is not
    the solution because not everyone is
    going to accept the additional overhead
    incured, so the logging should happen
    totally behind the scene, we have VERY
    varying level of expertise among the
    administrators)

    2) Have we some editor that always leave
    the copy of the file in unmodified
    state before opening it for editing?
    It should be something more advanced then
    just writing script with something like this
    in it:
    cp oroginal original.'date'.bak
    vi original
    in it .

    With Best Regards
    Ariel Burbaickij

  2. Re: Tracking file access/modification

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:54:20 -0800, Ariel.Burbaickij thoughtfully wrote:

    > Hello dear newsgroup participants,
    >
    > We have following situation:
    >
    > Shared administration environment, which actually means
    > that sometimes configuration files are modified by
    > different persons and as you can imagine sometimes
    > modification are not coherent . My questions:
    >
    > 1) Have we some common means of logging who
    > have accessed and modified files and
    > what exactly was modified (CVS is not
    > the solution because not everyone is
    > going to accept the additional overhead
    > incured, so the logging should happen
    > totally behind the scene, we have VERY
    > varying level of expertise among the
    > administrators)
    >
    > 2) Have we some editor that always leave
    > the copy of the file in unmodified
    > state before opening it for editing?
    > It should be something more advanced then
    > just writing script with something like this
    > in it:
    > cp oroginal original.'date'.bak
    > vi original
    > in it .
    >
    > With Best Regards
    > Ariel Burbaickij

    Thinking low tech you could define global aliases in the
    /etc/skel/.bashrc

    alias VI='vi.sh' # that makes backup file before edit

    Or you could make a directory and put your own vi (or edit command
    scripts) that copy files before editing and make that directory the first
    directory in the PATH for administrators so those commands are executed
    before system commands.

  3. Re: Tracking file access/modification

    Noi wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:54:20 -0800, Ariel.Burbaickij thoughtfully wrote:
    >
    > > Hello dear newsgroup participants,
    > >
    > > We have following situation:
    > >
    > > Shared administration environment, which actually means
    > > that sometimes configuration files are modified by
    > > different persons and as you can imagine sometimes
    > > modification are not coherent . My questions:
    > >
    > > 1) Have we some common means of logging who
    > > have accessed and modified files and
    > > what exactly was modified (CVS is not
    > > the solution because not everyone is
    > > going to accept the additional overhead
    > > incured, so the logging should happen
    > > totally behind the scene, we have VERY
    > > varying level of expertise among the
    > > administrators)
    > >
    > > 2) Have we some editor that always leave
    > > the copy of the file in unmodified
    > > state before opening it for editing?
    > > It should be something more advanced then
    > > just writing script with something like this
    > > in it:
    > > cp oroginal original.'date'.bak
    > > vi original
    > > in it .
    > >
    > > With Best Regards
    > > Ariel Burbaickij

    > Thinking low tech you could define global aliases in the
    > /etc/skel/.bashrc
    >
    > alias VI='vi.sh' # that makes backup file before edit
    >
    > Or you could make a directory and put your own vi (or edit command
    > scripts) that copy files before editing and make that directory the first
    > directory in the PATH for administrators so those commands are executed
    > before system commands.

    What about the first point?

    With Best Regards
    Ariel Burbaickij

  4. Re: Tracking file access/modification

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:09:27 -0800, Ariel.Burbaickij thoughtfully wrote:

    > Noi wrote in message news:...
    >> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:54:20 -0800, Ariel.Burbaickij thoughtfully wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello dear newsgroup participants,
    >> >
    >> > We have following situation:
    >> >
    >> > Shared administration environment, which actually means
    >> > that sometimes configuration files are modified by
    >> > different persons and as you can imagine sometimes
    >> > modification are not coherent . My questions:
    >> >
    >> > 1) Have we some common means of logging who
    >> > have accessed and modified files and
    >> > what exactly was modified (CVS is not
    >> > the solution because not everyone is
    >> > going to accept the additional overhead
    >> > incured, so the logging should happen
    >> > totally behind the scene, we have VERY
    >> > varying level of expertise among the
    >> > administrators)
    >> >
    >> > 2) Have we some editor that always leave
    >> > the copy of the file in unmodified
    >> > state before opening it for editing?
    >> > It should be something more advanced then
    >> > just writing script with something like this
    >> > in it:
    >> > cp oroginal original.'date'.bak
    >> > vi original
    >> > in it .
    >> >
    >> > With Best Regards
    >> > Ariel Burbaickij

    >> Thinking low tech you could define global aliases in the
    >> /etc/skel/.bashrc
    >>
    >> alias VI='vi.sh' # that makes backup file before edit
    >>
    >> Or you could make a directory and put your own vi (or edit command
    >> scripts) that copy files before editing and make that directory the first
    >> directory in the PATH for administrators so those commands are executed
    >> before system commands.

    > What about the first point?

    add a stat filename > changelog.txt into the script.

    > With Best Regards
    > Ariel Burbaickij

+ Reply to Thread