AZT1008 Sound Device Errors - Linux

This is a discussion on AZT1008 Sound Device Errors - Linux ; I have an old HP Vectra that I'm trying to run Fedora Core 1 on as an alternative desktop. I can't seem to get the sound card to work. Running sndconfig produces the following: AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE:AUDIO The following ...

  1. AZT1008 Sound Device Errors

    I have an old HP Vectra that I'm trying to run Fedora Core 1 on as an
    alternative desktop. I can't seem to get the sound card to work.
    Running sndconfig produces the following:

    AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE:AUDIO

    The following error occurred running the modprobe program:

    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o:
    init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    sound-slot-0 failed

    I had the same problems when using prior RedHat versions. There is a
    known bug (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847),
    and it was closed with a status of "ERRATA". There are links to what
    is supposed to be a patch, but it seems to be for an older kernel.

    I am currently using kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. I don't have a
    problem going to a different kernel, but I don't think I'm quite ready
    to try a custom kernel just yet.

    Is there a way to fix this without compiling a kernel? Is there a way
    to fix this at all?

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: AZT1008 Sound Device Errors

    JR wrote:
    > I have an old HP Vectra that I'm trying to run Fedora Core 1 on as an
    > alternative desktop. I can't seem to get the sound card to work.
    > Running sndconfig produces the following:
    >
    > AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE:AUDIO
    >
    > The following error occurred running the modprobe program:
    >
    > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o:
    > init_module: No such device
    > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: failed
    > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    > sound-slot-0 failed
    >
    > I had the same problems when using prior RedHat versions. There is a
    > known bug (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847),
    > and it was closed with a status of "ERRATA". There are links to what
    > is supposed to be a patch, but it seems to be for an older kernel.
    >
    > I am currently using kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. I don't have a
    > problem going to a different kernel, but I don't think I'm quite ready
    > to try a custom kernel just yet.
    >
    > Is there a way to fix this without compiling a kernel? Is there a way
    > to fix this at all?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

    First entry,
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847

    (Note not a distro-specific bug.)

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: AZT1008 Sound Device Errors

    Ben Measures wrote in message news:...
    > JR wrote:
    > > I have an old HP Vectra that I'm trying to run Fedora Core 1 on as an
    > > alternative desktop. I can't seem to get the sound card to work.
    > > Running sndconfig produces the following:
    > >
    > > AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE:AUDIO
    > >
    > > The following error occurred running the modprobe program:
    > >
    > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o:
    > > init_module: No such device
    > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: failed
    > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    > > sound-slot-0 failed
    > >
    > > I had the same problems when using prior RedHat versions. There is a
    > > known bug (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847),
    > > and it was closed with a status of "ERRATA". There are links to what
    > > is supposed to be a patch, but it seems to be for an older kernel.
    > >
    > > I am currently using kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. I don't have a
    > > problem going to a different kernel, but I don't think I'm quite ready
    > > to try a custom kernel just yet.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to fix this without compiling a kernel? Is there a way
    > > to fix this at all?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
    >
    > First entry,
    > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847
    >
    > (Note not a distro-specific bug.)
    >
    > --
    > Ben M.

    Ben,

    Sorry, but I don't understand your reply. Yes, it was the first entry
    in your Google search. It came up in my search, too (note that I
    mentioned it in the original question). So apparently, there's
    something there that should enlighten me, but I just don't see it.

    The so-called "patches" I've found seem to be hit-or-miss, and also
    seem to be distro-specific.

    The resolution says simply "ERRATA". Does that mean the same as "live
    with it"? Or is there a fix, patch, or workaround?

    Thanks.
    Jack

  4. Still Need Help Re: AZT1008 Sound Device Errors

    jr@despammed.com (JR) wrote in message news:<79769edd.0402262040.5209e4a4@posting.google.com>...
    > Ben Measures wrote in message news:...
    > > JR wrote:
    > > > I have an old HP Vectra that I'm trying to run Fedora Core 1 on as an
    > > > alternative desktop. I can't seem to get the sound card to work.
    > > > Running sndconfig produces the following:
    > > >
    > > > AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE:AUDIO
    > > >
    > > > The following error occurred running the modprobe program:
    > > >
    > > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o:
    > > > init_module: No such device
    > > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    > > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: failed
    > > > /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/sound/ad1848.o: insmod
    > > > sound-slot-0 failed
    > > >
    > > > I had the same problems when using prior RedHat versions. There is a
    > > > known bug (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847),
    > > > and it was closed with a status of "ERRATA". There are links to what
    > > > is supposed to be a patch, but it seems to be for an older kernel.
    > > >
    > > > I am currently using kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. I don't have a
    > > > problem going to a different kernel, but I don't think I'm quite ready
    > > > to try a custom kernel just yet.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to fix this without compiling a kernel? Is there a way
    > > > to fix this at all?
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be appreciated.

    > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
    > >
    > > First entry,
    > > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847
    > >
    > > (Note not a distro-specific bug.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ben M.

    > Ben,
    >
    > Sorry, but I don't understand your reply. Yes, it was the first entry
    > in your Google search. It came up in my search, too (note that I
    > mentioned it in the original question). So apparently, there's
    > something there that should enlighten me, but I just don't see it.
    >
    > The so-called "patches" I've found seem to be hit-or-miss, and also
    > seem to be distro-specific.
    >
    > The resolution says simply "ERRATA". Does that mean the same as "live
    > with it"? Or is there a fix, patch, or workaround?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Jack

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Jack

  5. Re: Still Need Help Re: AZT1008 Sound Device Errors

    JR wrote:
    > jr@despammed.com (JR) wrote in message news:<79769edd.0402262040.5209e4a4@posting.google.com>...
    >
    >>Ben Measures wrote in message news:...

    >>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
    >>>
    >>>First entry,
    >>>http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=88847
    >>>
    >>>(Note not a distro-specific bug.)
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Ben M.

    >>Ben,
    >>
    >>Sorry, but I don't understand your reply. Yes, it was the first entry
    >>in your Google search. It came up in my search, too (note that I
    >>mentioned it in the original question). So apparently, there's
    >>something there that should enlighten me, but I just don't see it.
    >>
    >>The so-called "patches" I've found seem to be hit-or-miss, and also
    >>seem to be distro-specific.
    >>
    >>The resolution says simply "ERRATA". Does that mean the same as "live
    >>with it"? Or is there a fix, patch, or workaround?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Jack

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Jack

    The patches are not distro specific - they are kernel specific. What
    kernel version do you have? Do you know how to apply patches compile them?

    Selecting the Resolution title gives:
    ERRATA
    The problem described has been fixed and will be available as an
    errata update from our support web site. Please check the site to see if
    it is currently available for download.

    and Status:
    CLOSED
    The bug has been closed. Meaning one of several things. The bug has
    been verified to be fixed by Quality Assurance and is therefore closed
    or the bug was closed due to being resolved for a long period of time
    with no activity meaning the bug was verified fixed by the reporter or
    noone seems seems to care about it anymore. This can be changed by the
    reporter, assignee, or others with proper permission.

    If you're not confident on configuring and compiling your kernel I
    recommend you either:
    1.) Do a lot of reading of kernel compilation howtos (useful skill to
    have); or
    2.) Check if you use alsa and then download and compile alsa-drivers:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/
    (Select the download link.)

    If you go with 2 then make sure you are using alsa (and have a quick
    browse through the docs).

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?