Can't telnet - Linux

This is a discussion on Can't telnet - Linux ; I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. ...

  1. Can't telnet

    I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    activating it.

    Can you help?

    Chris

  2. Re: Can't telnet

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:35:35 -0800, Chris wrote:

    > I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    > problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    > ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    > to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    > is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    > activating it.

    cd /etc/xinetd.d
    vi telnet
    #comment out "disable = yes"
    service xinetd.d restart

    If you are running Gnome, try System Settings, Server Settings, Services,
    and click the checkbox next to telnet. Remember to NOT have the box
    hooked to the Internet, as this is a huge security hole. If you need to
    do this with the box connected to the Internet, you need to read up on
    "only_from" in xinetd.

+ Reply to Thread