Kill - Linux

This is a discussion on Kill - Linux ; what does the command "kill -9 -1" do?...

  1. Kill

    what does the command "kill -9 -1" do?

  2. Re: Kill

    vishal wrote:

    > what does the command "kill -9 -1" do?

    It sends signal 9 (SIGKILL) to "every process except for process 1 (init)"

    "POSIX 1003.1-2001 requires that kill(-1,sig) send sig to all
    processes that the current process may send signals to, except
    possibly for some implementation-defined system processes. Linux allows
    a process to signal itself, but on Linux the call kill(-1,sig) does
    not signal the current process."

    You know, you could have found this yourself. It's documented in the
    kill(1), kill(2), and signal(7) manpages.