HOWTO: linux disaster recovery - Linux

This is a discussion on HOWTO: linux disaster recovery - Linux ; Hi, I wonder if there is a way to do a disaster recovery on linux? What I want to do: I want to do a daily incremental backup (=> no "dd"-command to save the whole disk). So far this no ...

  1. HOWTO: linux disaster recovery

    Hi,

    I wonder if there is a way to do a disaster recovery on linux?

    What I want to do:
    I want to do a daily incremental backup (=> no "dd"-command to save the whole disk).
    So far this no problem.

    But now the servers crashes, everything is lost.
    What to do now?
    Howto recover the partition table + logical volumes table?
    Exist a tool which can do this for me?
    After I' ve recovered the partition table I can restore my backup.

    Greets
    Hans

  2. Re: HOWTO: linux disaster recovery

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 05:26:55 -0800, Hans thoughtfully wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if there is a way to do a disaster recovery on linux?
    >
    > What I want to do:
    > I want to do a daily incremental backup (=> no "dd"-command to save the whole disk).
    > So far this no problem.
    >
    > But now the servers crashes, everything is lost.
    > What to do now?
    > Howto recover the partition table + logical volumes table?
    > Exist a tool which can do this for me?
    > After I' ve recovered the partition table I can restore my backup.

    Google is your friend. Redhat has some white papers on it also there is
    a scenario for disaster recovery in the RH Adminstrator's manual.

    > Greets
    > Hans

  3. Re: HOWTO: linux disaster recovery

    > Google is your friend. Redhat has some white papers on it also there is
    > a scenario for disaster recovery in the RH Adminstrator's manual.

    I' ve used google, but hadn't found a solution, that really fits.

    I'm using SuSE => haven't look in the RH manuals. I will look in the manuals.

    Hans

  4. Re: HOWTO: linux disaster recovery

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:06:35 -0800, Hans thoughtfully wrote:

    >> Google is your friend. Redhat has some white papers on it also there is
    >> a scenario for disaster recovery in the RH Adminstrator's manual.

    > I' ve used google, but hadn't found a solution, that really fits.
    >
    > I'm using SuSE => haven't look in the RH manuals. I will look in the manuals.
    >

    > Hans

    Well, I don't remember reading details about your setup. But RH Admin I'm
    sure. http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l.../admin-primer/

  5. Re: HOWTO: linux disaster recovery

    I haven't find anything useful in the RH docus!

    Any Ideas?

  6. Re: HOWTO: linux disaster recovery

    hans753@hotmail.com (Hans) wrote in message news:<1ea95d2e.0402160606.11a01e9a@posting.google.com>...
    > > Google is your friend. Redhat has some white papers on it also there is
    > > a scenario for disaster recovery in the RH Adminstrator's manual.

    > I' ve used google, but hadn't found a solution, that really fits.
    >
    > I'm using SuSE => haven't look in the RH manuals. I will look in the manuals.
    >

    > Hans

    Much searching can be done also on freshmeat. Tools there are already written.

+ Reply to Thread