Apache 2: Remote access - server not found but localhost OK - Linux

This is a discussion on Apache 2: Remote access - server not found but localhost OK - Linux ; I am trying to set up the Apache web server 2.0 on a Redhat Linux box. I started httpd. Checked that the server responded properly from the local host: either http://localhost or http://IP worked ok. I was also able to ...

  1. Apache 2: Remote access - server not found but localhost OK

    I am trying to set up the Apache web server 2.0 on a Redhat Linux box.
    I started httpd. Checked that the server responded properly from the
    local host: either http://localhost or http://IP worked ok. I was
    also able to ping the host from across the network. However,
    accessing the web server across the network timed out with 'server not
    found'.

    Any idea where my problem lies? Thanks.

    Ben

  2. Re: Apache 2: Remote access - server not found but localhost OK

    Ben,

    Did you open up ports 80 (for non-secure) & 443 (for SSL secured)
    connections in you firewall to allow the outside web connections? I know
    it's kind of a simple question, but this something I see on a periodic basis
    with new Linux boxes they setup at work...
    --
    James
    turajbNOSPAM@hoflink.com

    "Ben" wrote in message
    news:6cc642ff.0402140857.2c69c3a2@posting.google.c om...
    > I am trying to set up the Apache web server 2.0 on a Redhat Linux box.
    > I started httpd. Checked that the server responded properly from the
    > local host: either http://localhost or http://IP worked ok. I was
    > also able to ping the host from across the network. However,
    > accessing the web server across the network timed out with 'server not
    > found'.
    >
    > Any idea where my problem lies? Thanks.
    >
    > Ben

  3. Re: Apache 2: Remote access - server not found but localhost OK

    James,

    When you mention to open up the port 80 connection in the
    firewall...how exactly do you go about this?

    I'm experiencing similar issues to Ben with regards to being able to
    view content locally, but having no luck from remote access.

    Jason

    "James" wrote in message news:...
    > Ben,
    >
    > Did you open up ports 80 (for non-secure) & 443 (for SSL secured)
    > connections in you firewall to allow the outside web connections? I know
    > it's kind of a simple question, but this something I see on a periodic basis
    > with new Linux boxes they setup at work...
    > --
    > James
    > turajbNOSPAM@hoflink.com
    > (Remove NOSPAM When Emailing)
    >
    > "Ben" wrote in message
    > news:6cc642ff.0402140857.2c69c3a2@posting.google.c om...
    > > I am trying to set up the Apache web server 2.0 on a Redhat Linux box.
    > > I started httpd. Checked that the server responded properly from the
    > > local host: either http://localhost or http://IP worked ok. I was
    > > also able to ping the host from across the network. However,
    > > accessing the web server across the network timed out with 'server not
    > > found'.
    > >
    > > Any idea where my problem lies? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Ben

+ Reply to Thread