Remotely mount CDWRITER - Linux

This is a discussion on Remotely mount CDWRITER - Linux ; Hi I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter available to a number of linux box. Very similar to NFS but never tried it with cdwriter. All machines are installed with RH7.3. How can ...

  1. Remotely mount CDWRITER

    Hi

    I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
    available to a number of linux box. Very similar to NFS but never tried it
    with cdwriter. All machines are installed with RH7.3.

    How can I do this.

    Any help appreciated.

    Hiten

  2. Re: Remotely mount CDWRITER

    In comp.os.linux.setup Hitendra Patel wrote:
    > I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
    > available to a number of linux box.

    SSH into the machine and use cdrecord directly on the machine.
    Davide

    --
    | When I first started working with sendmail, I was convinced that the
    | cf file had been created by someone bashing their head on the
    | keyboard. After a week, I realised this was, indeed, almost certainly
    | the case --Unknown

  3. Re: Remotely mount CDWRITER

    Sorry my mistake.. copying files/directories etc from a linux box to a
    machine that has the cdwriter.

    Hiten

    "Davide Bianchi" wrote in message
    > In comp.os.linux.setup Hitendra Patel wrote:
    > > I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
    > > available to a number of linux box.

    > SSH into the machine and use cdrecord directly on the machine.
    > Davide
    >
    > --
    > | When I first started working with sendmail, I was convinced that the
    > | cf file had been created by someone bashing their head on the
    > | keyboard. After a week, I realised this was, indeed, almost certainly
    > | the case --Unknown

  4. Re: Remotely mount CDWRITER

    In comp.os.linux.setup Hitendra Patel wrote:
    > Sorry my mistake.. copying files/directories etc from a linux box to a
    > machine that has the cdwriter.

    I understood you right the first time. In order to write on the CD
    the system have to directly send command to the SCSI subsystem, this
    can't be done by remote and shouldn't be done (you don't know what's
    going on on the remote machine), so, you copy your data onto the machine
    or better yet make an ISO image on your own machine and then
    transfer the ISO image over the network to the remote machine, then
    SSH into the machine and use cdrecord to burn the image directly.

    Davide

    --
    | If you tell them, they never listen. If they listen, they never
    | learn. If they learn, they never remember. If they remember, they
    | never obey. -- Markus

  5. Re: Remotely mount CDWRITER

    Hitendra Patel wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
    > available to a number of linux box. Very similar to NFS but never tried it
    > with cdwriter. All machines are installed with RH7.3.
    >
    > How can I do this.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Hiten

    There are a few applications/network daemons out there that let you do
    that. I have not used any of them, however,
    http://joerghaeger.de/webCDwriter/ seems to be well maintained.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  6. Re: Remotely mount CDWRITER

    Davide Bianchi wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.setup Hitendra Patel wrote:
    > > Sorry my mistake.. copying files/directories etc from a linux box to a
    > > machine that has the cdwriter.

    > I understood you right the first time. In order to write on the CD
    > the system have to directly send command to the SCSI subsystem, this
    > can't be done by remote and shouldn't be done (you don't know what's
    > going on on the remote machine), so, you copy your data onto the machine
    > or better yet make an ISO image on your own machine and then
    > transfer the ISO image over the network to the remote machine, then
    > SSH into the machine and use cdrecord to burn the image directly.

    Well, it _can_ be done, using recent cdrtools/cdrecord versions'
    "rscsi" (Remote SCSI, obviously) facility.

    man cdrecord.

    And, as rscsi is as highly portable as the whole cdrtools package,
    this is even possible between differing OSes on either end of the
    LAN connection, even (yes...) the Win32 family.
    This does work fine for me; I even have been able to use 3 cdrecord
    instances to 3 cd-burners simultaneously (2 local, 1 remote.) ;-)).

    The security aspects of this approach are another story, obviously,
    - some of which are indeed discussed in the cdrtools documentation.

    Juergen

+ Reply to Thread