bash script for database searching using crontab - Linux

This is a discussion on bash script for database searching using crontab - Linux ; Hi all I usally do database search for references everyweek at PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed Now, can I automate this: #1 Can I make this to do every monday using certain defined keywords. #And if it could mail me the results for ...

  1. bash script for database searching using crontab

    Hi all
    I usally do database search for references everyweek at PubMed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed
    Now, can I automate this:

    #1 Can I make this to do every monday using certain defined keywords.
    #And if it could mail me the results for each week.

    Any geek to help me out with this? I guess it is not so difficult or
    am I asking too much.
    SS

  2. Re: bash script for database searching using crontab

    saurya_s wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I usally do database search for references everyweek at PubMed
    > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed
    > Now, can I automate this:
    >
    > #1 Can I make this to do every monday using certain defined keywords.
    > #And if it could mail me the results for each week.
    >
    > Any geek to help me out with this? I guess it is not so difficult or
    > am I asking too much.
    > SS

    Paraphrased:
    "Can some geek out there write me a script for free that does... [such
    and such]. C'mon, its not very difficult."

    Here are some outline steps on how to do this:
    1.) Install curl, cron and sendmail (and bash).
    2.) Look at the source to the search form in
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed
    3.) Read man curl to see how to get curl to emulate the form.
    4.) Read man bash to see how to make a bash script call curl and send
    the output to sendmail.
    5.) Read man cron to see how to call this perl script every week.
    5.) Celebrate your accomplishment.

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?