printing with apsfilter - Linux

This is a discussion on printing with apsfilter - Linux ; After installing slackware 9.1 I got a nice email from Patrick Volkerding saying that, in his opinion, apsfilter is the way to go with printing. So I tried running /usr/share/apsfilter/SETUP, as suggested. The printer I want to use is a ...

  1. printing with apsfilter

    After installing slackware 9.1 I got a nice email from Patrick
    Volkerding saying that, in his opinion, apsfilter is the way to go
    with printing.

    So I tried running /usr/share/apsfilter/SETUP, as suggested. The
    printer I want to use is a Hewlett Packard 8000 N laser printer, which
    I believe is a postscript printer. Mainly I want to print postscript
    files. After entering
    all the info into the SETUP script, the second last step was to print
    a test page. SETUP then successfully printed the file "test.ps".

    Now, from the command line, I can print plain ascii text files just
    fine.
    But if I try typing "lpr somefile.ps", that file never comes out of
    the printer;
    although "lpq" tells me that it is in the queue.

    Does anybody know how I can get this to work so that I can print ps
    files?

    Since my printer is a postscript printer, do I even need or want to
    use apsfilter?

    TIA rgb.

    P.S. Here is my /etc/printcap file:

    # See "man printcap" for information on editing this file.
    #
    # In most cases it is better to use a tool to write the printcap
    # for you (at least initially), such as apsfilter
    # (/usr/share/apsfilter/SETUP, used in conjunction with the
    # LPRng lpd daemon), or with the web interface provided by the
    # cupsd print daemon at this URL: http://localhost:631
    # (if you use CUPS).
    #
    # APS1_BEGINrinter1
    # - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
    # - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
    lp|PS;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=:\
    :rm=NPI0905A8:\
    :rp=lp72m:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
    # APS1_END - don't delete this

  2. Re: printing with apsfilter

    On 20 Jan 2004 07:42:35 -0800
    roygbiv1905@yahoo.com (Roy G. Biv) wrote:

    > So I tried running /usr/share/apsfilter/SETUP, as suggested. The
    > printer I want to use is a Hewlett Packard 8000 N laser printer, which
    > I believe is a postscript printer.
    > Since my printer is a postscript printer, do I even need or want to
    > use apsfilter?

    If you only print postscript files, you don't need apsfilter. But I
    think it checks the file type of files that are sent to the printer and
    converts as needed.

    > P.S. Here is my /etc/printcap file:
    >
    > lp|PS;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    > :lp=:\
    > :rm=NPI0905A8:\
    > :rp=lp72m:\
    > :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    > :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    > :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
    > :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
    > :mx#0:\
    > :sh:
    > # APS1_END - don't delete this

    This is from a printcap that I setup with apsfilter. And using LPRng
    print spooling software.

    hp2200|PS;r=600x600;q=medium;c=gray;p=letter;m=aut o:\
    :lp=:\
    :rm=132.246.176.86:\
    :rp=raw:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp2200:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/hp2200/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp2200/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

    "rm" is the address of the remote machine. Is your printer a networked
    printer?

    I think (It's been a long time since I did this.) that "rp" is the
    remote printer, ie. the print queue on the remote machine. "raw" is
    typical for a printer.

    Also note that you have the resolution set at r=300x300. I would guess
    that is kind of low for your machine.

    I'm wondering if you made some mistakes with choices running apsfilter
    SETUP. Perhaps you could try running it again. I can't explain why you
    can print a text file and not postscript.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread