How to increase Max. limit of Fifo size on Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to increase Max. limit of Fifo size on Linux? - Linux ; Hi, Does anybody know how to increase FIFO Max. size limit on RedHat 9.0? My current limit is 8*512 bytes, which is as shown by "ulimit -p" command. I tried to increase it to 20*512 bytes using command: "ulimit -p ...

  1. How to increase Max. limit of Fifo size on Linux?

    Hi,

    Does anybody know how to increase FIFO Max. size limit on RedHat 9.0?
    My current limit is 8*512 bytes, which is as shown by "ulimit -p" command.
    I tried to increase it to 20*512 bytes using command: "ulimit -p 20".
    Got this error:

    ulimit: pipe size: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument

    Let me know is there is any other way to change the Max. size of Fifo/Pipe?

    TIA,
    Sandeep

  2. Re: How to increase Max. limit of Fifo size on Linux?

    Sandeep wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody know how to increase FIFO Max. size limit on RedHat 9.0?
    > My current limit is 8*512 bytes, which is as shown by "ulimit -p" command.
    > I tried to increase it to 20*512 bytes using command: "ulimit -p 20".
    > Got this error:
    >
    > ulimit: pipe size: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument
    >
    > Let me know is there is any other way to change the Max. size of Fifo/Pipe?

    I believe that, in order to increase the size of the PIPE allocation, you
    are going to have to change some kernel constants and recompile your kernel.

    /usr/include/linux/pipe_fs_i.h carries a constant called
    PIPE_SIZE
    which defines the size of a pipe. You will have to increase this value, and
    recompile the linux/fs/pipe.c (at least) support. I don't know what other
    downstream effects this will have; you may have to make other changes to the
    kernel or apps and recompile as well.