Linux vs. CD & DVD - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux vs. CD & DVD - Linux ; Why not port CD & DVD software into Linux? Ref: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/de...reeBSD-CVS/src usr.sbin/burncd http://www.prweb.com/releases/2002/11/prweb50389.htm Is there some reason Linux is unable to talk directly with IDE devices? While items like K3b look pretty, they require you to run emulations of SCSI ...

  1. Linux vs. CD & DVD

    Why not port CD & DVD software into Linux?
    Ref: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/de...reeBSD-CVS/src
    usr.sbin/burncd

    Is there some reason Linux is unable to talk directly with IDE devices?
    While items like K3b look pretty, they require you to run emulations of
    SCSI and butcher the logic of talking to the device you're trying to use.
    Aparantly K3b still uses an ancient writing package (cdrecord), so ancient
    that it's even had to create or use seperate software (dvd+rw-tools) just
    to address DVD's?
    Meanwhile the world has continued to wait for these people to come into the
    21st century where the writing softwares actually know about the existance
    of IDE CD & DVD burners and the like. I personally would prefer a GUI CD
    authoring application that allowed you to nominate which writing app you
    would prefer to use (e.g. cdrecord or burncd), but otherwise why not just
    import and make use of burncd? It's available & I'm sure Søren would not
    mind the Linux world benefiting from his code, just don't remove his name
    from source.
    - if you read his copyright notice you wil see it does not prevent you from
    adding GNU licence requirements.

  2. Re: Linux vs. CD & DVD

    Stephen Anthony wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Why not port CD & DVD software into Linux?
    >> Ref:
    >> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/de...nt/FreeBSD-CVS

    src
    >> usr.sbin/burncd
    >> http://www.prweb.com/releases/2002/11/prweb50389.htm
    >>
    >> Is there some reason Linux is unable to talk directly with
    >> IDE devices?

    > Actually, the problem is with cdrecord and the kernel being
    > used.

    So Linux is unable to talk to the ATA bus or to compile a
    version of the burncd code?

  3. Re: Linux vs. CD & DVD

    Stephen Anthony wrote:

    >> src

    >>> Actually, the problem is with cdrecord and the kernel being
    >>> used.

    >>**So*Linux*is*unable*to*talk*to*the*ATA*bus*or*to* compile*a
    >> version of the burncd code?

    > *NO*, Linux is unable to talk to the ATA bus with the *version
    > of the software you have*.**I*stated*that*with*the*updated
    > versions I use, SCSI emulation isn't needed.

    *A*person*asks*a*perfectly*civil*question*as*to*if/why*Linux*has
    been either unable or unwilling to compile a standard
    Unix/Posix code for IDE CD/DVD burners , and you go off your
    nut screaming I've been unfair?

    > If you had read further, you would have seen
    > that *with newer versions*, that support is there.

    *Actually,*you*went*off-topic*and*started*talking*about*how*to
    bend old softwares using special kernels and patches to the
    software.

    *The*question*was*Why*not*port*CD*&*DVD*software*into*Linux?
    Specifically software such as "burncd" and allow all Linux
    users to read & write to IDE CD & DVD devices the same way as
    the rest of the Posix world?

    *If*Linux*is*a*Posix*or*Unix-like*system,*then*it*should*be*easy
    to adapt the "burncd" code to run on Linux -- is it or isn't it
    possible to adapt "burncd" to Linux & allow Linux users to
    write both CDs & DVD's without special kernels or SCSI
    emulation etc.

  4. Re: Linux vs. CD & DVD

    Andrew wrote:
    | The question was Why not port CD & DVD software into Linux?
    | Specifically software such as "burncd" and allow all Linux
    | users to read & write to IDE CD & DVD devices the same way as
    | the rest of the Posix world?
    |
    | If Linux is a Posix or Unix-like system, then it should be easy
    | to adapt the "burncd" code to run on Linux -- is it or isn't it
    | possible to adapt "burncd" to Linux & allow Linux users to
    | write both CDs & DVD's without special kernels or SCSI
    | emulation etc.

    Simple answer:
    It *might* be possible to port burncd to Linux but no one wants to. Why?
    There are plenty of other tools (arguably better) to do the job already
    there. (And who says burncd is Posix anyways?)

    As to why you generally need SCSI emulation for Linux burners:
    All CD/DVD writers actually speak SCSI. This is then sent over the ATA
    bus by silly layering. All the kernel SCSI emulation does is put things
    right and save the application the hassle of removing the ATA layer.

    However, as Stephen Anthony was trying to say was, you don't need SCSI
    emulation in kernel anymore. Apps like cdrecord can do it for
    themselves, for the convenience of all the people who refuse (or don't
    know how) to put it in the kernel.

    As a side note, Posix is a *huge* specification. Whilst support for it
    is definitely growing, no free implementation supports it completely.

    - --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?