Samba-Less Printing - Linux

This is a discussion on Samba-Less Printing - Linux ; I've been trying to get a Win2K workstation on a LAN to print to an HP DeskJet 600 printer that's connected to a FreeBSD-4.9 server on lpt0: via a parallel cable. My goal is to achieve a network printserver for ...

  1. Samba-Less Printing

    I've been trying to get a Win2K workstation on a LAN to print to an HP
    DeskJet 600 printer that's connected to a FreeBSD-4.9 server on lpt0: via a
    parallel cable. My goal is to achieve a network printserver for a small LAN
    without running Samba or other non-default program. That's my goal, at
    least.

    I can print to this printer from the FreeBSD console. I can load Samba and
    print to it from the Win2K machine. But my goal is to do this as a
    Samba-less printer setup. They say it can be done but so far it eludes my
    grasp.

    On the Win2K machines, the print jobs end with "Printer busy or error" in
    the Printer status window. If I try to print just a text file from the
    windows cmd prompt using the lpr command, I get, "Print server did not
    accept request. Job aborted."

    I've tweaked the permissions of the sd: and the /dev/lpt0 files to no avail.
    I've added entries to /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv for the
    workstations that are trying to print but no go! Tried different things in
    the /etc/printcap file, stood on one leg, spun around and said "whoosh!"

    But no print jobs yet. Can anyone offer some real advice on getting Win2K
    machines to share a printer via pure lpd/lpr. It has to be something simple
    at this stage...I hope!

  2. Re: Samba-Less Printing

    Ditch Brodie wrote:
    > I've been trying to get a Win2K workstation on a LAN to print to an HP
    > DeskJet 600 printer that's connected to a FreeBSD-4.9 server on lpt0: via a
    > parallel cable. My goal is to achieve a network printserver for a small LAN
    > without running Samba or other non-default program. That's my goal, at
    > least.

    I have done this myself recently (I was *very* pleased to get rid of
    Samba for printing). Here are the instructions I gave to my LUG.

    The machine I used it on was WinXP Pro, but the general directions
    should be applicable for other Windows flavours.

    1) Open My Computer -> Network Connections -> Advanced -> Optional
    Networking Components.

    2) Select Other Network File and Print Services, click on Details,
    ensure Print Services for Unix is selected (it will be the only option)
    Click OK, then Next to install the drivers. You will very likely need to
    have your Windows disk at hand.

    3) Open Printers and Faxes from the Start Menu, and open the Add Printer
    applet.

    4) Even though we're still printing across the network, select the "Local
    printer attached to this computer" option, and clear the checkbox marked
    "Automaticallt detect and install my Plug and Play printer"

    5) After clicking Next, select the "Create a new port" option, and
    select "LPR Port" (or "Standard TCP/IP Port" for printers with an
    Ethernet port on them (JetDirect port)) from the "Type of port" dropdown
    box.

    6) Click Next, and fill in the host name, and printer name.

    7) Select the printer type in the printer selection applet, and your
    done.

    8) Go into the printer's advanced properties, and change the paper types where
    applicable to A4. Print a test page to ensure it works.

    9) Ensure that you have allowed the client access to print, and manage
    print jobs. I haven't tested this part yet, I'm tossing up whether to
    get an embedded print server for my printer, or removing CUPs, which is
    giving me some grief (but then, I haven't really taken the time to learn
    it, nor do I really want to.

    Hope this helps, it's worked quite well for me so far (except for CUPS,
    it's clipping the pages a little on the bottom).

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/

  3. Re: Samba-Less Printing

    Thanks for your reply....but I've done it just like that and
    it still gives me the old "Printer busy or error...."

    BTW - Is print services for unix really needed since I'm
    not printing to the Windows machines from unix, but the
    other way around? Other posters from the fbsd newsgroup
    say this is not needed.

    I have tried it both ways but still nothing works. When I
    try to print from a DOS window using LPR it tells me the
    print server did not accept the request. Which leads me
    to some kind of permission issue. But I've tweaked
    permissions and ownerships on the folders and the /dev/lpt0
    file but still no go.

    Any seasoned advice would be appreciated.

    "Cameron Kerr" wrote in message
    > Ditch Brodie wrote:
    > > I've been trying to get a Win2K workstation on a LAN to print to an HP
    > > DeskJet 600 printer that's connected to a FreeBSD-4.9 server on lpt0:

    via a
    > > parallel cable. My goal is to achieve a network printserver for a small

    LAN
    > > without running Samba or other non-default program. That's my goal, at
    > > least.

    > I have done this myself recently (I was *very* pleased to get rid of
    > Samba for printing). Here are the instructions I gave to my LUG.
    >
    > The machine I used it on was WinXP Pro, but the general directions
    > should be applicable for other Windows flavours.
    >
    > 1) Open My Computer -> Network Connections -> Advanced -> Optional
    > Networking Components.
    >
    > 2) Select Other Network File and Print Services, click on Details,
    > ensure Print Services for Unix is selected (it will be the only option)
    > Click OK, then Next to install the drivers. You will very likely need to
    > have your Windows disk at hand.
    >
    > 3) Open Printers and Faxes from the Start Menu, and open the Add Printer
    > applet.
    >
    > 4) Even though we're still printing across the network, select the "Local
    > printer attached to this computer" option, and clear the checkbox marked
    > "Automaticallt detect and install my Plug and Play printer"
    >
    > 5) After clicking Next, select the "Create a new port" option, and
    > select "LPR Port" (or "Standard TCP/IP Port" for printers with an
    > Ethernet port on them (JetDirect port)) from the "Type of port" dropdown
    > box.
    >
    > 6) Click Next, and fill in the host name, and printer name.
    >
    > 7) Select the printer type in the printer selection applet, and your
    > done.
    >
    > 8) Go into the printer's advanced properties, and change the paper types

    where
    > applicable to A4. Print a test page to ensure it works.
    >
    > 9) Ensure that you have allowed the client access to print, and manage
    > print jobs. I haven't tested this part yet, I'm tossing up whether to
    > get an embedded print server for my printer, or removing CUPs, which is
    > giving me some grief (but then, I haven't really taken the time to learn
    > it, nor do I really want to.
    >
    > Hope this helps, it's worked quite well for me so far (except for CUPS,
    > it's clipping the pages a little on the bottom).
    >
    > --
    > Cameron Kerr
    > cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/
    > Empowered by Perl!

  4. Re: Samba-Less Printing

    Ditch Brodie wrote:

    > BTW - Is print services for unix really needed since I'm
    > not printing to the Windows machines from unix, but the
    > other way around? Other posters from the fbsd newsgroup
    > say this is not needed.

    PSfU is for Windows machines that want to print to LPD or JetDirect type
    printers.

    > I have tried it both ways but still nothing works. When I
    > try to print from a DOS window using LPR it tells me the
    > print server did not accept the request. Which leads me
    > to some kind of permission issue. But I've tweaked
    > permissions and ownerships on the folders and the /dev/lpt0
    > file but still no go.

    What about /etc/hosts.lpd on the print server?

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/
    Empowered by Perl!