Using rsh as root - Linux

This is a discussion on Using rsh as root - Linux ; Hi, everyone, I need the ability for another machine to use rsh and rcp on a system running RedHat Linux 9.0. I can't get this to work. I've done some research, and the answer seems to be to add the ...

  1. Using rsh as root

    Hi, everyone,

    I need the ability for another machine to use rsh and rcp on a system
    running RedHat Linux 9.0. I can't get this to work.

    I've done some research, and the answer seems to be to add the line
    "rsh" to /etc/securetty. I've done this (I also added rlogin and
    rexec). Didn't help.

    I also tried commenting out the "auth required pam_securetty.so" line
    in /etc/pam.d/rsh. That didn't help either.

    I know rsh is working because I can use it from my other system as
    long as I'm not logged in as root. When I'm logged in as root and use
    the exact same rsh command, I get "permission denied". This shows up
    in the messages log on the target system:

    pam_rhosts_auth[1146]: denied to root@ as root: access not
    allowed
    in.rshd[1146]: rsh denied to root@ as root: Permission
    denied.
    in.rshd[1146]: rsh command was 'df'

    I don't know what else to look for. Any help anyone can provide would
    be much appreciated.

    -- Adam

  2. Re: Using rsh as root

    In article , Adam Beneschan wrote:
    > Hi, everyone,
    >
    > I need the ability for another machine to use rsh and rcp on a system
    > running RedHat Linux 9.0. I can't get this to work.
    >
    > I've done some research, and the answer seems to be to add the line
    > "rsh" to /etc/securetty. I've done this (I also added rlogin and
    > rexec). Didn't help.
    >
    > I also tried commenting out the "auth required pam_securetty.so" line
    > in /etc/pam.d/rsh. That didn't help either.
    >
    > I know rsh is working because I can use it from my other system as
    > long as I'm not logged in as root. When I'm logged in as root and use
    > the exact same rsh command, I get "permission denied". This shows up
    > in the messages log on the target system:
    >
    > pam_rhosts_auth[1146]: denied to root@ as root: access not
    > allowed
    > in.rshd[1146]: rsh denied to root@ as root: Permission
    > denied.
    > in.rshd[1146]: rsh command was 'df'
    >
    > I don't know what else to look for. Any help anyone can provide would
    > be much appreciated.
    >
    > -- Adam

    You say you want rsh and rcp, but I would suggest ssh and scp (openssh.com)
    unless you have a specific need for rsh and rcp. The r* tools are plaintext
    and not nearly as secure as ssh. I use ssh, scp, and sftp for the admin. jobs
    on my cluster and have no problems.
    Hope this helps!

    Digi

    --
    http://digi.nuwen.net/cluster

  3. Re: Using rsh as root

    Digi wrote in message news:...
    > In article , Adam Beneschan wrote:
    > > Hi, everyone,
    > >
    > > I need the ability for another machine to use rsh and rcp on a system
    > > running RedHat Linux 9.0. I can't get this to work.
    > >
    > > I've done some research, and the answer seems to be to add the line
    > > "rsh" to /etc/securetty. I've done this (I also added rlogin and
    > > rexec). Didn't help.
    > >
    > > I also tried commenting out the "auth required pam_securetty.so" line
    > > in /etc/pam.d/rsh. That didn't help either.
    > >
    > > I know rsh is working because I can use it from my other system as
    > > long as I'm not logged in as root. When I'm logged in as root and use
    > > the exact same rsh command, I get "permission denied". This shows up
    > > in the messages log on the target system:
    > >
    > > pam_rhosts_auth[1146]: denied to root@ as root: access not
    > > allowed
    > > in.rshd[1146]: rsh denied to root@ as root: Permission
    > > denied.
    > > in.rshd[1146]: rsh command was 'df'
    > >
    > > I don't know what else to look for. Any help anyone can provide would
    > > be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > -- Adam

    > You say you want rsh and rcp, but I would suggest ssh and scp (openssh.com)
    > unless you have a specific need for rsh and rcp. The r* tools are plaintext
    > and not nearly as secure as ssh. I use ssh, scp, and sftp for the admin. jobs
    > on my cluster and have no problems.
    > Hope this helps!

    We already have ssh on both systems; however, I can't figure out how
    to use it to use it from System A (running RedHat 6.2) to execute a
    script on System B (RedHat 9.0) while I'm logged in to system A as
    "root", without it asking for a password. It's necessary to be able
    to do this without human intervention, since it will be run by a daily
    overnight script.

    I tried making sure that both host names were in the
    /usr/local/etc/shosts.equiv file on both systems. That hasn't helped.
    I'm trying to go through the ssh man page to figure out what else to
    do, but it appears far from obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

    -- Adam

  4. Re: Using rsh as root

+ Reply to Thread