Mystified -- debugging configuration problems w/ pam_unix or sudo? - Linux

This is a discussion on Mystified -- debugging configuration problems w/ pam_unix or sudo? - Linux ; Hi -- I'm fairly experienced in linux, but this one has me stumped. I have a knoppix install on my laptop which doesn't allow me to su to root, but has no problem if I ssh to localhost an log ...

  1. Mystified -- debugging configuration problems w/ pam_unix or sudo?

    Hi --

    I'm fairly experienced in linux, but this one has me stumped. I have
    a knoppix install on my laptop which doesn't allow me to su to root,
    but has no problem if I ssh to localhost an log in as root.

    I get pam_unix errors in /var/log/auth

    I've examined /etc/pam.d, and messed around a bit with the su, sudo
    files -- trying to turn on debugging in pam -- to no avail.

    Symptoms: This used to not be a problem. But then I did an apt-get
    dist-upgrade, and the banner:

    We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
    Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.

    started appearing -- it didn't prior, and that's (I think) when the su
    problem started occuring.

    Any help or pointers of what to look like appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Ranjan

  2. Re: Mystified -- debugging configuration problems w/ pam_unix or sudo?

    "Ranjan Bagchi" wrote in message
    news:119696ee.0401041512.7b178859@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi --
    >
    > I'm fairly experienced in linux, but this one has me stumped. I have
    > a knoppix install on my laptop which doesn't allow me to su to root,
    > but has no problem if I ssh to localhost an log in as root.
    >
    > I get pam_unix errors in /var/log/auth
    >
    > I've examined /etc/pam.d, and messed around a bit with the su, sudo
    > files -- trying to turn on debugging in pam -- to no avail.
    >
    > Symptoms: This used to not be a problem. But then I did an apt-get
    > dist-upgrade, and the banner:
    >
    > We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
    > Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:
    >
    > #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    > #2) Think before you type.
    >
    > started appearing -- it didn't prior, and that's (I think) when the su
    > problem started occuring.
    >
    > Any help or pointers of what to look like appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ranjan

    I had problems with PAM when I fiddled with netfilters some time ago. It
    seemed that preventing any TCP data within the pc stopped the passwords
    being compared correctly.
    On Mandrake 8.2 (ish) I had the banner you mention above but it vanished on
    9.1 (or 9.0) - I should pay more attention to the system I am running
    shouldnt I ?
    --
    Jonathan.

+ Reply to Thread