Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail) - Linux

This is a discussion on Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail) - Linux ; Hope someone can help. I would like to run a mail server with Redhat 9. I've set up the FTPD and HTPPD fine, but I have run into a wall with respect to serving mail. I've not been able to ...

  1. Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail)

    Hope someone can help.

    I would like to run a mail server with Redhat 9. I've set up the FTPD
    and HTPPD fine, but I have run into a wall with respect to serving
    mail. I've not been able to find a tutorial that can spell out a clear
    path from A to Z that works.

    Don't even know why I'm posting this, because I am sure I'll get
    flamed.

    CC

  2. Re: Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail)

    "Joe Wilk" wrote in message
    news:dd1b415d.0312300535.111c3510@posting.google.c om

    > Don't even know why I'm posting this, because I am sure I'll get
    > flamed.

    Your question has already been answered in one of the other newsgroups to
    which you posted it.

    Flames are what you earn when you waste other peoples' time by
    multi-posting.

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  3. Re: Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail)

    On 30 Dec 2003 05:35:19 -0800, cagey_cretin@netzero.com (Joe Wilk)
    wrote:

    >Hope someone can help.
    >
    >I would like to run a mail server with Redhat 9. I've set up the FTPD
    >and HTPPD fine, but I have run into a wall with respect to serving
    >mail. I've not been able to find a tutorial that can spell out a clear
    >path from A to Z that works.
    >
    >Don't even know why I'm posting this, because I am sure I'll get
    >flamed.
    >
    >CC

    Well, from that last sentence I figure you're probably a troll, but I
    have a little time to waste.

    You won't find a simple tutorial for this kind of thing because
    everyone has different requirements. You're going to have to break
    down and actually think. I'd recommend losing the attitude too. You
    are not entitled to help, you are asking for it.

    Now, to the point. Pick a mail server. If you're as far in over your
    head as you sound, I'd recommend postfix. QMail is abandonware and
    Sendmail is one of the most complex pieces of software ever written...
    You should have done some basic research on this before wasting your
    time.

    Now, let me give you a valuable bit of advice. Do 3 things;

    First, Install Webmin (www.webmin.com)- it gives you a decent GUI
    admin interface so you can concentrate on the contents of the config
    files without getting bogged down in the syntax. Second, go to the
    program website (in this case, www.postfix.org) and start reading.
    Subscribe to the mailing lists too. Third, block out at least 4 hours
    when you aren't trying to do anything else and google for postfix.
    Start reading.

    Those three simple guidelines will get you thru almost everything
    you'll encounter in trying to install and administer a linux system.

    With the addition of buying (and reading) a copy of "Postfix" (Richard
    Blum, copyright 2001 SAMS publishing), that's what I did. My mail
    server is currently serving 3 domains and incorporates f-prot, clam,
    spamassassin, amavisd-new, and mailman, as well as postfix.
    Previously I used sendmail. Postfix is faster and easier.

    The reason that I don't go into a whole lot more detail here is
    threefold - First, it would be wasted on you - You haven't got enough
    of the basics yet to understand what you need. Second, you don't go
    into enough detail in your message to even indicate that you have the
    required configuration - email services require a properly configured
    domain with an MX record on your dns server, or it pretty much won't
    work, and Third, from the attitude expressed in your message, I'm
    almost certainly wasting my time already.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.

  4. Re: Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail)

    "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message news:<3ff193da_5@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > "Joe Wilk" wrote in message
    > news:dd1b415d.0312300535.111c3510@posting.google.c om
    >
    > > Don't even know why I'm posting this, because I am sure I'll get
    > > flamed.

    > Your question has already been answered in one of the other newsgroups to
    > which you posted it.
    >
    > Flames are what you earn when you waste other peoples' time by
    > multi-posting.

    Thank you.

  5. Re: Setting Up Mail Server Redhat 9 (Unsuccesful w Qmail and Sendmail)

    Mike, I REALLY appreciate the answer. I have bookmarked the page, and
    copied the text to file. :-) Thank you very much for taking the time.
    And thanks for no soggy bread! I want to read it a few more times!

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread