Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel - Linux

This is a discussion on Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel - Linux ; Hi all, I'd appreciate your help on this problem. I am compiling 2.6.0 linux kernel on a Fedora system (Intel, dual 2x750 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gig RAM, gcc 3.2.3 or gcc 2.9.6); I previously updated my system to match ...

  1. Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    Hi all,

    I'd appreciate your help on this problem. I am compiling 2.6.0 linux
    kernel on a Fedora system (Intel, dual 2x750 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gig
    RAM, gcc 3.2.3 or gcc 2.9.6); I previously updated my system to match
    the requirements for linux-2.6 kernels and did a 'make xconfig'.

    [root@zeus linux-2.6]# make bzImage
    HOSTCC scripts/modpost.o
    HOSTLD scripts/modpost
    CC arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s
    In file included from include/asm/system.h:5,
    from include/asm/processor.h:18,
    from include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
    from include/linux/list.h:7,
    from include/linux/signal.h:4,
    from arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:7:
    include/linux/kernel.h:10:20: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from include/asm/system.h:5,
    from include/asm/processor.h:18,
    from include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
    from include/linux/list.h:7,
    from include/linux/signal.h:4,
    from arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:7:
    include/linux/kernel.h:71: syntax error before "va_list"
    include/linux/kernel.h:71: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    include/linux/kernel.h:74: syntax error before "va_list"
    include/linux/kernel.h:74: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    include/linux/kernel.h:78: syntax error before "va_list"
    include/linux/kernel.h:78: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
    make: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 2

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Silviu

  2. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:33:50 -0800, silviu typed:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'd appreciate your help on this problem. I am compiling 2.6.0 linux
    > kernel on a Fedora system (Intel, dual 2x750 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gig RAM,
    > gcc 3.2.3 or gcc 2.9.6); I previously updated my system to match the
    > requirements for linux-2.6 kernels and did a 'make xconfig'.

    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Do yourself a favor, as root from the console or xsession in the
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.0 directory running your 2.4.X kernel do;

    make mrproper
    make oldconfig

    And answer the few questions as per your choice.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    Lenard wrote:
    > Do yourself a favor, as root from the console or xsession in the
    > /usr/src/linux-2.6.0 directory running your 2.4.X kernel do;
    >
    > make mrproper
    > make oldconfig
    >
    > And answer the few questions as per your choice.

    A word of caution, if you do make mrproper without a configuration backup, your
    current .config file will be completely erased, and there will be no old config
    from which to compile. The result will be a kernel that is configured using all
    the defaults, and means a lot more work for you after the fact. Now, assuming
    you are doing that from a stock source, with no .config, it is a good idea.

    --
    Chris Shepherd

  4. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    silviu wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'd appreciate your help on this problem. I am compiling 2.6.0 linux
    > kernel on a Fedora system (Intel, dual 2x750 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gig
    > RAM, gcc 3.2.3 or gcc 2.9.6); I previously updated my system to match
    > the requirements for linux-2.6 kernels and did a 'make xconfig'.

    Just a couple of additional questions:
    Have you verified your kernel sources were not corrupting during the download?
    Where did you get the sources from?
    Which version of GCC are you actually using? I've compiled it successfully a few
    dozen times now on GCC 3.2.2, and I *think* there are problems with 2.96 that
    may be as of yet (and possibly stay) unresolved.

    The line in question in kernel.h reads:
    #include

    And slocating on my system for shows it is in:
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/3.2.2/include/stdarg.h
    Looks to me like it's possible that you are using 2.96 to compile the kernels,
    which won't work, although, as I only have GCC 3.2.2 on my system, I can't say
    reliably. Just a guess though.

    --
    Chris Shepherd

  5. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    Chris Shepherd wrote in message news:<151Fb.15475$mV5.10988@read1.cgocable.net>...
    > silviu wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate your help on this problem. I am compiling 2.6.0 linux
    > > kernel on a Fedora system (Intel, dual 2x750 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gig
    > > RAM, gcc 3.2.3 or gcc 2.9.6); I previously updated my system to match
    > > the requirements for linux-2.6 kernels and did a 'make xconfig'.

    > Just a couple of additional questions:
    > Have you verified your kernel sources were not corrupting during the download?
    > Where did you get the sources from?
    > Which version of GCC are you actually using? I've compiled it successfully a few
    > dozen times now on GCC 3.2.2, and I *think* there are problems with 2.96 that
    > may be as of yet (and possibly stay) unresolved.
    >
    > The line in question in kernel.h reads:
    > #include
    >
    > And slocating on my system for shows it is in:
    > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/3.2.2/include/stdarg.h
    > Looks to me like it's possible that you are using 2.96 to compile the kernels,
    > which won't work, although, as I only have GCC 3.2.2 on my system, I can't say
    > reliably. Just a guess though.

    1. I am using the gcc 3.2.3 compiler on a Fedora system.
    2. I tested the integrity of the source archive using gpg.

    Thanks,

    Silviu

  6. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    Chris Shepherd wrote in message news:<151Fb.15475$mV5.10988@read1.cgocable.net>...
    > silviu wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate your help on this problem. I am compiling 2.6.0 linux
    > > kernel on a Fedora system (Intel, dual 2x750 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gig
    > > RAM, gcc 3.2.3 or gcc 2.9.6); I previously updated my system to match
    > > the requirements for linux-2.6 kernels and did a 'make xconfig'.

    > Just a couple of additional questions:
    > Have you verified your kernel sources were not corrupting during the download?
    > Where did you get the sources from?
    > Which version of GCC are you actually using? I've compiled it successfully a few
    > dozen times now on GCC 3.2.2, and I *think* there are problems with 2.96 that
    > may be as of yet (and possibly stay) unresolved.
    >
    > The line in question in kernel.h reads:
    > #include
    >
    > And slocating on my system for shows it is in:
    > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/3.2.2/include/stdarg.h
    > Looks to me like it's possible that you are using 2.96 to compile the kernels,
    > which won't work, although, as I only have GCC 3.2.2 on my system, I can't say
    > reliably. Just a guess though.

    I actually found the compilation problem:
    The directory /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/include was not
    present in the includes; I added it to the CPPFLAGS in the Makefile of
    the top directory. The tree compiled just fine...

    Silviu

  7. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    silviu wrote:
    > I actually found the compilation problem:
    > The directory /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/include was not
    > present in the includes; I added it to the CPPFLAGS in the Makefile of
    > the top directory. The tree compiled just fine...
    >
    > Silviu

    Glad to see you got it sorted out.

    --
    Chris Shepherd

  8. Re: Compilation errors for linux-2.6.0 kernel

    silviu wrote:

    > I actually found the compilation problem:
    > The directory /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/include was not
    > present in the includes; I added it to the CPPFLAGS in the Makefile of
    > the top directory. The tree compiled just fine...

    Kind of sounds as if your 3.2.3 might not have installed quite right,
    although I dropped Fedora for now, I did get a build okay.

    --
    bill davidsen
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc