no users with all caps? - Linux

This is a discussion on no users with all caps? - Linux ; I can't create a username with all caps on my RH9.0 2.4.20 intel machine. I get "invalid username" . How to correct that? (This ones gonna hurt, I know....) -D -- ---------------------------------------- Drew McBee Network Administrator Tradesmen International...

  1. no users with all caps?

    I can't create a username with all caps on my RH9.0 2.4.20 intel machine. I
    get "invalid username" . How to correct that?

    (This ones gonna hurt, I know....)

    -D

    Drew McBee
    Network Administrator
    Tradesmen International

  2. Re: no users with all caps?

    Gblx News wrote:
    > I can't create a username with all caps on my RH9.0 2.4.20 intel machine. I
    > get "invalid username" . How to correct that?

    Break the passwd and getty programs.

    > (This ones gonna hurt, I know....)

    Yah, it's gonna hurt :-)

    FWIW, there's a reason why you can't create user names with all caps. The
    getty process uses the fact that the username is all caps to set the
    /dev/tty line conditioning; lower case or mixed case username entered leaves
    the line conditioning alone, but all upper case username entered to the
    "login" prompt causes getty to set uppercase translation on. Although all
    interaction will then follow in uppercase, the programs and system will see
    lowercase.