Redhat 9 and ProFTP Overwrite Permissions Problem - Linux

This is a discussion on Redhat 9 and ProFTP Overwrite Permissions Problem - Linux ; Hi all, I recently leased a Redhat 9 machine and I'm having some problems with Proftpd and overwriting files. I'm running Proftpd version 1.29 in a very basic configuration. I have used the DefaultRoot option to jail users to their ...

  1. Redhat 9 and ProFTP Overwrite Permissions Problem

    Hi all,

    I recently leased a Redhat 9 machine and I'm having some problems with
    Proftpd and overwriting files.

    I'm running Proftpd version 1.29 in a very basic configuration. I have
    used the DefaultRoot option to jail users to their home directories
    (DefaultRoot ~). When I do this it works correctly by not allowing
    users to see anything else but their home directory and sub folders,
    but it also creates another problem. If a file already exists in their
    ftp space and they try to overwrite it, they recieve a "550 filename:
    Overwrite permission denied" error. Other operations such as creating
    and deleting work fine and the user could delete the file and then
    upload their newer version. This problem only occurs when using the
    DefaultRoot ~ option.

    I have checked my file ownerships and permissions and they are
    correct. I'm posting my configuration file below. I have checked
    Proftpd's site, google groups, and here with no luck... any help would
    be greatly appreciated.

    code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file (rename it to
    # 'proftpd.conf' for actual use. It establishes a single server
    # and a single anonymous login. It assumes that you have a user/group
    # "nobody" and "ftp" for normal operation and anon.

    ServerName "ProFTPD Default Installation"
    ServerType inetd
    DefaultServer on

    # Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
    Port 21

    # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
    # from being group and world writable.
    Umask 022

    # To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
    # to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
    # at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
    # in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
    # that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
    # (such as xinetd).
    MaxInstances 30

    # Set the user and group under which the server will run.
    User nobody
    Group nobody

    # To cause every FTP user to be "jailed" (chrooted) into their home
    # directory, uncomment this line.
    DefaultRoot ~

    # Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.

    AllowOverwrite on

    Regards, Wayne

  2. Re: Redhat 9 and ProFTP Overwrite Permissions Problem

    Just as a follow up... this is only occuring in inted mode and not in
    Standalone. I've been searching days for a solution and still no
    luck.

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently leased a Redhat 9 machine and I'm having some problems with
    > Proftpd and overwriting files.
    >
    > I'm running Proftpd version 1.29 in a very basic configuration. I have
    > used the DefaultRoot option to jail users to their home directories
    > (DefaultRoot ~). When I do this it works correctly by not allowing
    > users to see anything else but their home directory and sub folders,
    > but it also creates another problem. If a file already exists in their
    > ftp space and they try to overwrite it, they recieve a "550 filename:
    > Overwrite permission denied" error. Other operations such as creating
    > and deleting work fine and the user could delete the file and then
    > upload their newer version. This problem only occurs when using the
    > DefaultRoot ~ option.
    >
    > I have checked my file ownerships and permissions and they are
    > correct. I'm posting my configuration file below. I have checked
    > Proftpd's site, google groups, and here with no luck... any help would
    > be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > # This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file (rename it to
    > # 'proftpd.conf' for actual use. It establishes a single server
    > # and a single anonymous login. It assumes that you have a user/group
    > # "nobody" and "ftp" for normal operation and anon.
    >
    > ServerName "ProFTPD Default Installation"
    > ServerType inetd
    > DefaultServer on
    >
    > # Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
    > Port 21
    >
    > # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
    > # from being group and world writable.
    > Umask 022
    >
    > # To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
    > # to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
    > # at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
    > # in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
    > # that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
    > # (such as xinetd).
    > MaxInstances 30
    >
    > # Set the user and group under which the server will run.
    > User nobody
    > Group nobody
    >
    > # To cause every FTP user to be "jailed" (chrooted) into their home
    > # directory, uncomment this line.
    > DefaultRoot ~
    >
    > # Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
    >
    > AllowOverwrite on
    >

    > Regards, Wayne

  3. Re: Redhat 9 and ProFTP Overwrite Permissions Problem

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    news:fc04dca7.0312231611.5ccae2f4@posting.google.c om

    >> # To cause every FTP user to be "jailed" (chrooted) into their home
    >> # directory, uncomment this line.
    >> DefaultRoot ~
    >>
    >> # Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
    >>
    >> AllowOverwrite on

    Wouldn't you want (assuming ProFTPD 1.1.3 and later):

    AllowOverwrite on

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  4. Re: Redhat 9 and ProFTP Overwrite Permissions Problem

    Jeez!!!! I searched for days trying to find a solution to this....
    Tony, you are a life saver. Your help is GREATLY appreciated

    Wayne

    "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message news:<3fe903a4_5@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > "Wayne" wrote in message
    > news:fc04dca7.0312231611.5ccae2f4@posting.google.c om
    >
    > >> # To cause every FTP user to be "jailed" (chrooted) into their home
    > >> # directory, uncomment this line.
    > >> DefaultRoot ~
    > >>
    > >> # Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
    > >>
    > >> AllowOverwrite on
    > >>

    > Wouldn't you want (assuming ProFTPD 1.1.3 and later):
    >

    > AllowOverwrite on
    >

    > tony

+ Reply to Thread