Changing volume limits - Linux

This is a discussion on Changing volume limits - Linux ; Ran into a problem with my /var volume reaching 90 percent, and not allowing changes to crontab. Dumping logs and mail cleared it out. Isn't there a way to change the limit above 90 percent before refusing writes? TIA, Joe...

  1. Changing volume limits

    Ran into a problem with my /var volume reaching 90 percent, and not
    allowing changes to crontab. Dumping logs and mail cleared it out.

    Isn't there a way to change the limit above 90 percent before refusing
    writes?

    TIA,

    Joe

  2. Re: Changing volume limits

    Hi Joe,

    Try

    tune2fs -m 5 /dev/...

    replace 5 with the % you wish to change limit to ..also need device
    name for /var as last argument

    Kind Regards

    Stuart

    jmp@jcck.net (Joe Pollard) wrote in message news:...
    > Ran into a problem with my /var volume reaching 90 percent, and not
    > allowing changes to crontab. Dumping logs and mail cleared it out.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to change the limit above 90 percent before refusing
    > writes?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Joe

  3. Re: Changing volume limits

    jmp@jcck.net (Joe Pollard) wrote in message news:...
    > Ran into a problem with my /var volume reaching 90 percent, and not
    > allowing changes to crontab. Dumping logs and mail cleared it out.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to change the limit above 90 percent before refusing
    > writes?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Joe

    Hi,

    Im not sure if this is Your problem, but I found a file called
    /etc/security/limits.conf. Maybe there is an entry.
    Another workaround would be to edit ~/.vimrc and insert

    set directory=/tmp,/,.

    or other directorys (I suppose, Your EDITOR is set to vi).

    regards

    Thorsten

  4. Re: Changing volume limits

    Are you using something to keep your log file sizes down? logrotate
    works fairly well:

    http://iain.cx/src/logrotate/

    Andy

    --------------------------
    Andy Smith, MCP
    wasmith32@earthlink.net

    Joe Pollard wrote:
    > Ran into a problem with my /var volume reaching 90 percent, and not
    > allowing changes to crontab. Dumping logs and mail cleared it out.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to change the limit above 90 percent before refusing
    > writes?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Joe

+ Reply to Thread