Redhat 7.2 problem booting on IBM 345 scsi - Linux

This is a discussion on Redhat 7.2 problem booting on IBM 345 scsi - Linux ; I cannot get 7.2 to load from Harddisk using Fusion MPT adapter and 36GB scsi disks. I load the driver for the adapter using the "boot: linux dd" option, it loads fine, I partition the disks, install successfully then it ...

  1. Redhat 7.2 problem booting on IBM 345 scsi

    I cannot get 7.2 to load from Harddisk using Fusion MPT adapter and 36GB
    scsi disks. I load the driver for the adapter using the "boot: linux dd"
    option, it loads fine, I partition the disks, install successfully then it
    fails to reboot, cannot load the module. I've tried building a new initrd
    with the "-with=mptscsih and -with=mptbase" flags and it didn't work
    either.

    Years ago I had a new fast machine fail to boot SCO unix in the exact same
    manner and it turned out to be that the driver reset the adapter first
    thing and then after some length of timing loop then went on to read the
    adapter and couldn't because the machine was too fast and the adapter had
    not finished resetting yet. I cannot determine if this the same thing
    because it happens too fast. The machine is a dual 2.4 Xeon.

    Any ideas anyone.

    Yes, a newer version of Linux works just fine, but the application that
    this needs to run requires Redhat 7.2, it inserts a kernel level driver
    and requires this specific kernel......

    yes, this sucks...

    Help anyone? Please?

    PK

  2. Re: Redhat 7.2 problem booting on IBM 345 scsi

    I used to work with the 345 in a previous job.
    I seem to recall there was another scsi option similar to mptscsih,
    but only differs in last letter. Might be worth searching for it.

    paul wrote in message news:...
    > I cannot get 7.2 to load from Harddisk using Fusion MPT adapter and 36GB
    > scsi disks. I load the driver for the adapter using the "boot: linux dd"
    > option, it loads fine, I partition the disks, install successfully then it
    > fails to reboot, cannot load the module. I've tried building a new initrd
    > with the "-with=mptscsih and -with=mptbase" flags and it didn't work
    > either.

+ Reply to Thread