CRON and growing number of sleeping processes - Linux

This is a discussion on CRON and growing number of sleeping processes - Linux ; Since I did an online update from my SuSE 8.1 under Linux on a pentium II, a week ago, cron seems to behave differenty. For a job I entered in /etc/crontab and the commands present in this shell script, these ...

  1. CRON and growing number of sleeping processes

    Since I did an online update from my SuSE 8.1 under Linux on a pentium
    II, a week ago, cron seems to behave differenty. For a job I entered
    in /etc/crontab and the commands present in this shell script, these
    processes stay in the process table as sleeping processes. After a few
    days this grows to > 1600 processes. The system then runs out of
    memory and doesn't accept any commands. All of these processes created
    via this cron job are sleeping and I need to do a reboot. Before this
    update (got a new version of the kernel, now 2.4.19) the system had an
    uptime of 181 days. Does anyone know the cause of this behaviour and
    how I can solve it?

    Thanks,

    Fred

  2. Re: CRON and growing number of sleeping processes

    "Fred" wrote in message
    news:a50b43ab.0312021451.58763d53@posting.google.c om

    > For a job I entered
    > in /etc/crontab and the commands present in this shell script, these
    > processes stay in the process table as sleeping processes. After a few
    > days this grows to > 1600 processes.
    > Does anyone know the cause of this behaviour and
    > how I can solve it?

    Are we supposed to guess at the content of your cron script?

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies