is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine - Linux

This is a discussion on is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine - Linux ; sir, is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine. I am running redhat Linux 6.2 I am having ps/2 & serial port .(can i use both ports for mouse) Will there be any ...

  1. is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine

    sir,
    is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine.
    I am running redhat Linux 6.2
    I am having ps/2 & serial port .(can i use both ports for mouse)
    Will there be any interrupt conflict?
    can i use /dev/mouse & /dev/mouse1
    Help me

  2. Re: is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine

    In comp.os.linux.help karthikeyan wrote:
    > is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine.

    Sure. What do you mean by "configure"? Both of them work just fine.

    > I am running redhat Linux 6.2
    > I am having ps/2 & serial port .(can i use both ports for mouse)
    > Will there be any interrupt conflict?

    Of course not. Serial ports are usually on 3 and 4. ps/2 bus usually
    uses 12 (9?). If you have a conflict, it's your own creation.

    > can i use /dev/mouse & /dev/mouse1

    Why? What for?

    > Help me

    To do what?

    I suggest that you are struggling to express yourself.

    Perhaps you mean "can I get X to take input from both my meeces at the
    same time"?

    If you do mean that, the answer is "yes". It's normal. I use both a
    ps/2 mouse and a usb mouse in X, for example. See the X docs (:-)>

    Peter

  3. Re: is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse inthe same machine

    On 2 Dec 2003 03:04:41 -0800, thegreatkarthik@yahoo.co.in (karthikeyan) wrote:

    > is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine.

    .... yes

    > I am having ps/2 & serial port .(can i use both ports for mouse)

    .... yes

    > Will there be any interrupt conflict?

    .... nope
    ..
    Q: Where does virgin wool come from? A: Ugly sheep.

  4. Re: is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine

    P.T. Breuer wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.help karthikeyan wrote:
    >> is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same
    >> machine.

    > Sure. What do you mean by "configure"? Both of them work just fine.
    >
    >> I am running redhat Linux 6.2
    >> I am having ps/2 & serial port .(can i use both ports for mouse)
    >> Will there be any interrupt conflict?

    > Of course not. Serial ports are usually on 3 and 4. ps/2 bus usually
    > uses 12 (9?). If you have a conflict, it's your own creation.
    >
    >> can i use /dev/mouse & /dev/mouse1

    > Why? What for?
    >
    >> Help me

    > To do what?
    >
    > I suggest that you are struggling to express yourself.
    >
    > Perhaps you mean "can I get X to take input from both my meeces at the
    > same time"?
    >
    > If you do mean that, the answer is "yes". It's normal. I use both a
    > ps/2 mouse and a usb mouse in X, for example. See the X docs (:-)>
    >

    > Peter

    There used to be a Y-connector sold here to connect 2 mice to one serial
    port (back in the days before PS-2 or Linux) for 2-player games. I suppose
    that the op.is saying: if I use /dev/mouse for both, won't they move the
    same cursor?

    Doug.
    --
    Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
    -Janet Long.

  5. Re: is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine

    In comp.os.linux.help Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > P.T. Breuer wrote:
    > > Perhaps you mean "can I get X to take input from both my meeces at the
    > > same time"?

    [ps2 and serial mouse]

    > > If you do mean that, the answer is "yes". It's normal. I use both a
    > > ps/2 mouse and a usb mouse in X, for example. See the X docs (:-)>

    > There used to be a Y-connector sold here to connect 2 mice to one serial
    > port (back in the days before PS-2 or Linux) for 2-player games. I suppose
    > that the op.is saying: if I use /dev/mouse for both, won't they move the

    Suppose again.

    He can't use /dev/mouse for both. /dev/mouse is a symlink. It must
    point at something. It either will point at /dev/psaux or
    /dev/bus/usb/ttyUSBS0 or whatever (/dev/input/....). It can't point at
    both.

    > same cursor?

    If you do as I suggest and configure X to take input from both meeces,
    then both of them will move the X cursor - that is the idea.

    Peter

  6. Re: is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine

    sir,
    I need the documentation for connecting(using) both serial & PS/2 Port mouse
    in the same machine

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > On 2 Dec 2003 03:04:41 -0800, thegreatkarthik@yahoo.co.in (karthikeyan) wrote:
    >
    > > is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse in the same machine.

    > ... yes
    >
    > > I am having ps/2 & serial port .(can i use both ports for mouse)

    > ... yes
    >
    > > Will there be any interrupt conflict?

    > ... nope
    > .

  7. Re: is it possible to configure both PS/2 & serial port mouse inthe same machine

    On 4 Dec 2003 01:29:45 -0800, thegreatkarthik@yahoo.co.in (karthikeyan) wrote:

    > sir,
    > I need the documentation for connecting(using) both serial & PS/2 Port mouse
    > in the same machine

    ..... 'sir'? well, when you put it like THAT:

    Second Mouse in X mini-HOWTO
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Se...use/index.html
    ..
    "I'm defending her honor, which is more than she ever did."

+ Reply to Thread