Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:38:42 GMT

Subject: LOCAL NYC - UNIGROUP Meeting 20-NOV-2003: IPv6 & ifchk

Reminder... Must RSVP for Thursday's Unigroup meeting by Wed 4PM...
(some new/updated info below)

When: Thursday, November 20th, 2003

Where: The Chase Manhattan Bank
One Chase Manhattan Plaza (1CMP)
Conference Center, 28th Floor
Downtown, NYC

Time: 6:15 PM - 6:25 PM Registration
6:25 PM - 6:35 PM Ask the Wizard,
Questions, Answers and Current Events
6:35 PM - 6:45 PM Unigroup Business
6:45 PM - 7:00 PM Mini-Presentation
7:00 PM - 9:30 PM Main Presentation

Topic: IPv6 - IP Version 6

Speakers: Greg Rabil, Chief Architect,
Tim Rooney, Director of Product Management,
Lucent Technologies

Special Mini-Presentation:
Topic: Promiscuous Monitoring with "ifchk"
Speaker: Josh Birnbaum of Noorg, Inc.

.................................................. ....................

Mini-Presentation Introduction:

One of our Unigroup members, Josh Birnbaum of Noorg, Inc., has
developed an Open Source Project called "ifchk", which is a tool
which provides Host Based Promiscuous Mode Detection. See:

Josh will give us a short mini-presentation on "ifchk", prior to
our main IPv6 presentation.

Here is an outline from Josh:

I'll begin with a description of what it actually is for a network
interface to operate in promiscuous mode. This would be within the
context of Ethernet. I'd start with the reception of Ethernet frames
off of the wire by the network hardware and go through the trip up
the protocol stack that the frame takes, depending whether the
interface is in the promiscuous state or not. This would be within
the context of the network hardware, device driver interaction and
the protocol stack.

Next, I'd provide scenarios where packet sniffing can be used by the
sysadmin to solve system/network related problems. Network latency
comes to mind as a good application of packet capture as does it's
use in tracking down problems with network services. E.G. My client
side NFS mounts are taking forever or failing... Why? I'd then talk
about how it can be used for not so honorable ends (sniffing
passwords, etc). It is here that I'd discuss ifchk and how the tool
can be used by sysadmins to detect and counter this abuse in real
time, and how ifchk can provide accurate network traffic analysis on
a per-interface basis for reference in either good times or
(suspected) bad. I'd also like to mention some ifchk internals
stuff (ioctl(), etc), time permitting.

.................................................. ....................

Main Presentation Introduction:

Note: Unigroup's previous meeting on IPv6 was in January 1996, and
given the [slow] adoption rate of IPv6, we were clearly ahead of
the curve back then. These days, IPv6 is more of a reality as it
ships with many major Unix/BSD/Linux operating systems.

Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) was first introduced in December
1995, when several RFCs were completed by the IP Next Generation
(IPNG) working group of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
Since then, many of the RFCs have been revised and updated.
Primarily intended to alleviate the perceived IP address exhaustion
issues that were facing the IPv4 community, IPv6 includes many other
features that are expected to improve the operation of IP networks.
These features include better security, performance, mobility, and

The deployment of IPv6 is expected to be gradual, and coexistence
with IPv4 networks is inevitable for years to come. The transition
to IPv6 will be evolutionary, and the tools available to assist in
this migration will be critical for worldwide adoption of the next
generation of IP. Many of the advantages of IPv6 are designed for
ease of use by end users, but network administrators will require
even more sophisticated tools to operate and support these networks.

* Keep an eye out on the deadline date and time, as it may change.

Please RSVP if you know you are attending or if you think you may
be attending. This will help us arrange for a letter to security
for all of Unigroup. It will also help us to determine the correct
amount of food and refreshments.

To REGISTER for this event, please RSVP by:

a) If at all possible, please use the Unigroup Registration Page:
This will allow us to have some automation in the RSVP process.

b) If you must Email us, send an EMail containing the FIRST and
LAST NAMEs of the persons attending to the Unigroup RSVP

The Email subject should start with "RSVP".
You may optionally include your contact phone number (that
day) or other current information.

DO NOT simply reply to this Email, sending us back the entire
announcement (we already have it); leaving the subject as it
was, and NOT containing the phrase "RSVP" as requested. In
that case, your message just looks like failed mail and it
makes it impossible to automate the RSVP process and get
you registered for our event.

ALSO: Do NOT give us an Email address which is over quota
and cannot receive any new Email. This causes us to receive
bounces from your address when we send out the RSVP-ACKs.
You must have a working and valid Email address in order
to get on the Unigroup Meeting Attendee List which will
grant you access to our meetings. Be sure to proof-read
your Email address before submitting the RSVP request.

>>> AND: Do NOT give us an Email address which has anti-spam

processing requiring our automated shell scripts to reply
to your mail servers or visit a web page... that will NOT
happen! Be sure to add Unigroup to your "allow" lists!

Please continue to check the Unigroup web site:
for any last minute updates concerning this meeting. Please
check your Email for any last minute announcements prior to the
meeting. Note that only the Attendee First and Last Names will
be provided to Chase Security.

Outline of the Main IPv6 Presentation:

Our speakers from Lucent Technologies plan to cover some or all of
the following topics on IPv6:

- Addressing architecture

The size of an IPv6 address is now four times as large as an
IPv4 address (128 bits compared to 32 bits). This topic will
cover the IPv6 addressing model, text representations of IPv6
addresses, and definitions of IPv6 unicast, anycast, and
multicast addresses as described in RFC 3513.

- Header format

The IP header has been modified to accommodate the larger
address space, support new built-in features, and to streamline

- Auto-configuration

Auto-configuration allows for plug-and-play support of attached
network nodes. Models include stateless auto-configuration
utilizing router advertisements, and stateful auto-configuration
using a DHCPv6 server. In some cases, both stateless and
stateful auto-configuration may be supported on the same network.

- Prefix delegation

Prefix delegation describes a mechanism for delegating address
prefixes to network sites. The requirements for prefix delegation
in IPv6 are defined in
One conformant implementation of prefix delegation utilizes
DHCPv6, and is defined in

There are over 100 RFCs that apply to IPv6. Here is a list of
of some of the significant ones from our friends at Lucent:

RFC2460 - Internet Protocol, Version 6 Specification
RFC2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6
RFC2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
RFC2463 - Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the
Internet Protocol Version 6 Specification
RFC2471 - IPv6 Testing Address Allocation
RFC3315 - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)
RFC3363 - Representing Internet Protocol version 6 Addresses
in the Domain Name System (DNS)
RFC3513 - Internet Protocol Version 6 Addressing Architecture

Web Resources:

Project ifchk
Lucent Technologies

O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our

Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.

Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
provided by their User Group programs.

Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
(ie. many of these books are valued between $30 and $60)!

Speaker Biographies:

Greg Rabil / Lucent Technologies

Greg is one of the original team of engineers responsible for
market-leading VitalQIP IP Address Management systems. He joined
Quadritek Systems in January 1997, and managed the Network Services
Engineering group through the acquisition of Quadritek by Lucent
Technologies in October 1998, until January 2001, when he became
Chief Architect for both the VitalQIP and VitalAccess product
lines. Greg has been an active member of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF) for seven years, and co-author of an RFC draft
on DHCP failover. He is an active member of the DHC, DNS-Ops,
DNS-Ext, ENUM, and IPv6 IETF working groups. Greg holds a BS
in Computer Science from Allegheny College.

Tim Rooney / Lucent Technologies

As a Director of Product Management for Lucent Technologies Network
Operations Software (NOS) division, Tim is responsible for the
management of both VitalQIP(tm) (IP Address and DNS/DHCP management)
and VitalAccess(tm) (broadband subscriber management and activation
software for Internet access, multimedia and VoIP services) software
products. Tim's responsibility includes the overall product
lifecycle from concept through development, introduction, and
lifecycle management, as well as business case analyses, marketing
and sales support activities. Prior to joining Lucent, Tim worked
in development and technical positions at Triton PCS, Comcast
Cellular Communications and AT&T Bell Labs. Tim holds an M.S. in
Electrical Engineering from Rutgers University and a B.S. in
Commerce & Engineering from Drexel University.

Fee Schedule:
Yearly Membership (includes all meetings): $ 50.00
* Non-Member Single Meeting: $ 20.00
Student Yearly Membership: $ 20.00
Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID): $ 5.00
Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

* Employees of JPM/Chase (with ID) can attend general
meetings at NO CHARGE.

==> Unigroup is the Greater NYC Regional Area Affiliate
of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.
Our Joint Membership Program with UniForum is currently
on hold due to circumstances at UniForum. For information
about UniForum visit

Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served. This includes
sandwiches such as turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna and grilled
eggplant as well as brownies, cookies, bottled water and assorted

The 1CMP building is situated: South of Liberty Street, North
of Pine Street, East of Broad/Nassau Street and West of William
Street. The building is one block east of Broadway, right
behind 140 Broadway.

The closest entrance to the conference center is from Nassau
Street, first elevator bank from the Nassau Street entrance.

The building is on a raised platform. Walk up the outside
stairs at Nassau Street and head for the guard's station at the
south-west corner of the building. Tell the guards you are
heading for Unigroup. Note: at times, you may need to enter
the building on its lower level, on the east side of the block.

They will inspect your ID and carry-ins and direct you to the
meeting facility assuming you are on the Unigroup RSVP list.

Once you get upstairs, enter the conference facility through
its main doors. There is a bank of large monitors to the left
of the entrance which should direct you to the Unigroup meeting
room (the room changes from month to month). To the right of
the main entrance is the concierge's desk, ask for help there
if you need anything. The conference facility has two levels,
use the staircase to get to the upper level. Most of the time,
our meeting room has been upstairs, on the south side of the

As always, also look out for Unigroup signs marking the path
to the meeting room. Also note, if you come early, we may not
have our own signs in place yet (we have to commute there too).

Transit By Train: Take the J/M/Z to Broad Street and walk one
block North to Pine St. Take the 4/5 to Wall Street and walk
North to Pine St., then East to Broad St. Take the 2/3 to Wall
Street, the North West exit is inside the Chase complex, else
you will need to walk a block North and West. See the MTA
Downtown NYC Map (pdf) for detailed mass transit information:

Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

InfoSecurity 2003

The InfoSecurity 2003 show will be at the Javits Center on
December 8th - 11th.

Exhibit hall hours:

Wed, December 10, 2004 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu, December 11, 2004 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

For more information, or for complimentary online registration, visit:

LinuxWorld Expo

The LinuxWorld Expo show will be at the Javits Center on:

Wed, January 21, 2004 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu, January 22, 2004 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri, January 23, 2004 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

For more information, or for complimentary online registration, visit:

NYLUG - NY Linux Users Group - Hank'ering for Something Better, or, Snort Blows
Meeting Date: Wednesday, 19-NOV-2003

ICCA NYC METRO CHAPTER - Independent Computer Consultants Association - Topic: Solving the Puzzle of Closing MORE Sales!
Meeting Date: Tuesday, 25-NOV-2003 (Meets on the Last Tuesday)

I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

-Rob Weiner
Unigroup Executive Director