Why choose Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Why choose Linux? - Linux ; I have been using Linux Red Hat for just over 3 years now. I have mainly been using it in school to complete programming assignments. I have not used it much as a server, and I was wondering what makes ...

  1. Why choose Linux?

    I have been using Linux Red Hat for just over 3 years now. I have mainly
    been using it in school to complete programming assignments. I have not
    used it much as a server, and I was wondering what makes Linux a good choice
    as a server OS? What features does it have that Windows doesn't? Why would
    you be more inclined to run a Linux server over a Windows server?

  2. Re: Why choose Linux?

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:39:20 GMT, Aaron Lewis wrote:
    > I have been using Linux Red Hat for just over 3 years now. I have mainly
    > been using it in school to complete programming assignments. I have not
    > used it much as a server, and I was wondering what makes Linux a good choice
    > as a server OS? What features does it have that Windows doesn't? Why would
    > you be more inclined to run a Linux server over a Windows server?

    With ~70 new vulnerabilities a week for Micro$not,
    choice would seem clear to me.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/sec...9117126,00.htm

  3. Re: Why choose Linux?

    Bit Twister wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:39:20 GMT, Aaron Lewis wrote:
    > > I have been using Linux Red Hat for just over 3 years now. I have mainly
    > > been using it in school to complete programming assignments. I have not
    > > used it much as a server, and I was wondering what makes Linux a good choice
    > > as a server OS? What features does it have that Windows doesn't? Why would
    > > you be more inclined to run a Linux server over a Windows server?

    > With ~70 new vulnerabilities a week for Micro$not,
    > choice would seem clear to me.
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/sec...9117126,00.htm

    OK simple answer wrapper in three,

    1: Stable
    2: Secure
    3: Open source

  4. Re: Why choose Linux?

    > OK simple answer wrapper in three,
    >
    > 1: Stable
    > 2: Secure
    > 3: Open source

    If its Open source than its hackable. Oh I forgot in today's world
    anything is hackable. I do agree with # 1 its stable.

  5. Re: Why choose Linux?

    Maredia, A wrote:

    >> OK simple answer wrapper in three,
    >>
    >> 1: Stable
    >> 2: Secure
    >> 3: Open source

    > If its Open source than its hackable. Oh I forgot in today's world
    > anything is hackable. I do agree with # 1 its stable.

    That's one of the whole points. If it wasn't hackable then it wouldn't be
    open source.

    Now before you bitch, find out what hackable really means.

  6. Re: Why choose Linux?

    > >> OK simple answer wrapper in three,
    > >>
    > >> 1: Stable
    > >> 2: Secure
    > >> 3: Open source

    > > If its Open source than its hackable. Oh I forgot in today's world
    > > anything is hackable. I do agree with # 1 its stable.

    > That's one of the whole points. If it wasn't hackable then it wouldn't be
    > open source.
    >
    > Now before you bitch, find out what hackable really means.

    I am not bitching Mr.... All I am saying is that nothing is secure,
    not in today's world. Look how easily RIAA is suing hundreds using
    open source GNUtella network. I know, I know its totally different
    thing. Deep inside I beleive that no software be it a server software
    or encryption software is not secure and can be cracked.

  7. Re: Why choose Linux?

    Maredia, A wrote:

    >> > If its Open source than its hackable. Oh I forgot in today's world
    >> > anything is hackable. I do agree with # 1 its stable.

    >> That's one of the whole points. If it wasn't hackable then it wouldn't
    >> be open source.
    >>
    >> Now before you bitch, find out what hackable really means.

    > I am not bitching Mr.... All I am saying is that nothing is secure,
    > not in today's world. Look how easily RIAA is suing hundreds using
    > open source GNUtella network. I know, I know its totally different
    > thing. Deep inside I beleive that no software be it a server software
    > or encryption software is not secure and can be cracked.

    I see from your reply that _YOU_ still DON'T understand. Hacking/hackable
    != cracking/breaking, they have nothing in common!

  8. Re: Why choose Linux?

    Baho Utot wrote in message news:<1bbg81-hi7.ln1@mindanao.philippines-island.org>...

    > >> That's one of the whole points. If it wasn't hackable then it wouldn't
    > >> be open source.
    > >>
    > >> Now before you bitch, find out what hackable really means.

    > > I am not bitching Mr.... All I am saying is that nothing is secure,
    > > not in today's world. Look how easily RIAA is suing hundreds using
    > > open source GNUtella network. I know, I know its totally different
    > > thing. Deep inside I beleive that no software be it a server software
    > > or encryption software is not secure and can be cracked.

    > I see from your reply that _YOU_ still DON'T understand. Hacking/hackable
    > != cracking/breaking, they have nothing in common!

    Hackable Crackable Shamkable.... I agree with the reality that you
    really might not know what your talking about, but even if you do...
    It has always and will always be up to the individuals in the
    computing world to take some actions to make things more secure. That
    is just how it is. Some need others don't. The fact is that without
    open source computing the world would suck !! I have been a Unix admin
    for 5 years now and if my only choice was a diseased Microsoft world I
    probably wouldn't even touch a computer. Linux is <---- very secure
    when you know what you are doing. And others like Solaris and origianl
    BSD variants are incredibly secure.. You remeber right ARPA ? DOD ?
    The birth of UNIX. Come on man.. Try hacking my network ... I dare ya

  9. Re: Why choose Linux?

    Chris wrote:

    > Hackable Crackable Shamkable.... I agree with the reality that you
    > really might not know what your talking about, but even if you do...
    > It has always and will always be up to the individuals in the
    > computing world to take some actions to make things more secure. That
    > is just how it is. Some need others don't. The fact is that without
    > open source computing the world would suck !! I have been a Unix admin
    > for 5 years now and if my only choice was a diseased Microsoft world I
    > probably wouldn't even touch a computer. Linux is <---- very secure
    > when you know what you are doing. And others like Solaris and origianl
    > BSD variants are incredibly secure.. You remeber right ARPA ? DOD ?
    > The birth of UNIX. Come on man.. Try hacking my network ... I dare ya

    Why should I try to hack your network? It wouldn't be your network I would
    be interested in. Go away little girl.

  10. Re: Why choose Linux?

    fersher@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote in message news:<1717582c.0311161515.140c4e04@posting.google.com>...
    > Baho Utot wrote in message news:<1bbg81-hi7.ln1@mindanao.philippines-island.org>...

    > > > I am not bitching Mr.... All I am saying is that nothing is secure,
    > > > not in today's world. Look how easily RIAA is suing hundreds using
    > > > open source GNUtella network. I know, I know its totally different
    > > > thing. Deep inside I beleive that no software be it a server software
    > > > or encryption software is not secure and can be cracked.

    > > I see from your reply that _YOU_ still DON'T understand. Hacking/hackable
    > > != cracking/breaking, they have nothing in common!

    > Hackable Crackable Shamkable.... I agree with the reality that you
    > really might not know what your talking about, but even if you do...
    > It has always and will always be up to the individuals in the
    > computing world to take some actions to make things more secure. That
    > is just how it is. Some need others don't. The fact is that without
    > open source computing the world would suck !! I have been a Unix admin
    > for 5 years now and if my only choice was a diseased Microsoft world I
    > probably wouldn't even touch a computer. Linux is <---- very secure
    > when you know what you are doing. And others like Solaris and origianl
    > BSD variants are incredibly secure.. You remeber right ARPA ? DOD ?
    > The birth of UNIX. Come on man.. Try hacking my network ... I dare ya

    Your ass is plonked. Furthermore, I will be sending an abuse complaint to your ISP.

+ Reply to Thread