General Admin Question - Linux

This is a discussion on General Admin Question - Linux ; Can you have spaces in group names in Red Hat / Linux ? I have been trying to integrate a Pam module that auths group names against an AD server (with winbind) and every time I try to use a ...

  1. General Admin Question

    Can you have spaces in group names in Red Hat / Linux ?

    I have been trying to integrate a Pam module that auths group names
    against an AD server (with winbind) and every time I try to use a
    group name with the module it craps the bed...

    I tried to use 'groupadd group\ name' and groupadd "group name"
    but it errors out. I also tried moding the group file and nada. It no
    likey.

    Anyone?

    thanks

    Nate

  2. Re: General Admin Question

    "Nate" wrote in message
    news:2ff168b3.0311070650.22f5abec@posting.google.c om

    > Can you have spaces in group names in Red Hat / Linux ?

    No, nor in usernames.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  3. Re: General Admin Question

    Nate wrote:

    > Can you have spaces in group names in Red Hat / Linux ?

    .... no, which includes usernames
    ..
    Give me a Plumber's friend the size of the Pittsburgh dome,
    and a place to stand, and I will drain the world.

  4. Re: General Admin Question

    On 11/7/03 9:50, in article 2ff168b3.0311070650.22f5abec@posting.google.com,
    "Nate" wrote:

    > Can you have spaces in group names in Red Hat / Linux ?

    No spaces.

    > I have been trying to integrate a Pam module that auths group names
    > against an AD server (with winbind) and every time I try to use a
    > group name with the module it craps the bed...
    >
    > I tried to use 'groupadd group\ name' and groupadd "group name"
    > but it errors out. I also tried moding the group file and nada. It no
    > likey.
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Nate