using cron deamon and also at - Linux

This is a discussion on using cron deamon and also at - Linux ; Hi i have redhat linux 8.0 installed.I wanted to run some shell scripts using at command. I tried, $ at now+5 minitues > ls -l >./sample1.sh >./Shell.sh Ctrl+D $ now i checked jobs it said job was pending and i ...

  1. using cron deamon and also at

    Hi i have redhat linux 8.0 installed.I wanted to run some shell
    scripts using at command.

    I tried,

    $ at now+5 minitues
    > ls -l
    >./sample1.sh
    >./Shell.sh

    Ctrl+D

    $

    now i checked jobs it said job was pending and i thought job will run
    after 5 minitues but 5 minitues passed by i saw no job ran.

    let me tell you i have not done any configuration to /etc/cron.allow
    or cron.deny or any other thing

    how should i basically configure cron before i use it ?

  2. Re: using cron deamon and also at

    anand,

    your syntax is correct. verify that atd is running. also, after the time
    passes, does atq indicate that the job is still in the queue? you would get
    the output via email -- you may want to verify that mail works.

    when you ask about configuring cron, if you mean configuring your crontab,
    you can edit it by running crontab -e. if not, please elaborate on what you
    are looking for.

    let me know if you have any questions.

    yash

    On 11/5/03 2:30, in article d4c8aca6.0311042330.7ab647d1@posting.google.com,
    "Anand" wrote:

    > Hi i have redhat linux 8.0 installed.I wanted to run some shell
    > scripts using at command.
    >
    > I tried,
    >
    > $ at now+5 minitues
    >> ls -l
    >> ./sample1.sh
    >> ./Shell.sh

    > Ctrl+D
    >
    > $
    >
    > now i checked jobs it said job was pending and i thought job will run
    > after 5 minitues but 5 minitues passed by i saw no job ran.
    >
    > let me tell you i have not done any configuration to /etc/cron.allow
    > or cron.deny or any other thing
    >
    > how should i basically configure cron before i use it ?

  3. Re: using cron deamon and also at

    Anand wrote:
    > Hi i have redhat linux 8.0 installed.I wanted to run some shell
    > scripts using at command.
    >
    > I tried,
    >
    > $ at now+5 minitues
    >
    >>ls -l
    >>./sample1.sh
    >>./Shell.sh

    > Ctrl+D
    >
    > $
    >
    > now i checked jobs it said job was pending and i thought job will run
    > after 5 minitues but 5 minitues passed by i saw no job ran.

    So, it sounds like you don't have the atd(8) daemon running.
    Start up atd (read the manual first) and retry your at command.

    > let me tell you i have not done any configuration to /etc/cron.allow
    > or cron.deny or any other thing

    So? Why would you do anything to the cron config files? You're not running
    crond; you're running atd.

    > how should i basically configure cron before i use it ?

    That's a seperate topic. I thought you wanted to run 'at'.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training