Management of Many Linux Machines - Linux

This is a discussion on Management of Many Linux Machines - Linux ; I know this is a general question but I am hoping to open up a good discussion on this problem and have not seen it to date: I am a unix admin that has been tasked to develop a management ...

  1. Management of Many Linux Machines

    I know this is a general question but I am hoping to open up a good
    discussion on this problem and have not seen it to date:

    I am a unix admin that has been tasked to develop a management
    strategy for our QUICKLY growing number of linux servers. I work in a
    VERY large enterprise and currently have only 7 production linux
    servers online but expect that number to be in the range of 75 - 100
    within a year and at least that many more in 2 years. currently have 7
    more getting ready to go into production

    I am looking for a way to centrally manage admins and users on these
    machines. I have completed a proof of concept using winbind tied to
    AD but believe that it is unwise to bind these 2 platforms that
    closely. Eventually whatever solution I choose will bring our HP
    (RISC) platforms into it and be a central point of management for our
    whole UNIX side of the enterprise.

    The solution must provide an audit trail and an easily managed central
    location for accounts and groups.

    I am trying to develop a management strategy now while my little
    empire is small and flexable that can grow.

    IDEAS Anyone? -- All solutions will be considered. Commercial and
    Opensource.

    Thanks,

    Nate

  2. Re: Management of Many Linux Machines

    Have you looked into NIS or LDAP for managing accounts/groups ?

    In article <2ff168b3.0311030613.5e91ee1f@posting.google.com>, Nate wrote:
    > IDEAS Anyone? -- All solutions will be considered. Commercial and
    > Opensource.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nate

+ Reply to Thread