Cannot enable Rock Ridge mounting iso9660 - Linux

This is a discussion on Cannot enable Rock Ridge mounting iso9660 - Linux ; Hi! The command mount /dev/cdrom /mnt -o ro -t iso9660 in kernel 2.4.19 yields 8.3 file names like abcdef~1.xyz although "man mount" says Rock Ridge is enabled by default. Win98 sees long file names in this CD. Any idea? TIA ...

  1. Cannot enable Rock Ridge mounting iso9660

    Hi!

    The command

    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt -o ro -t iso9660

    in kernel 2.4.19 yields 8.3 file names like abcdef~1.xyz although "man
    mount" says Rock Ridge is enabled by default.

    Win98 sees long file names in this CD. Any idea?

    TIA
    CN

  2. Re: Cannot enable Rock Ridge mounting iso9660

    On 29 Oct 2003 21:28:29 -0800, cnliou9@fastmail.fm (CN) wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >The command
    >
    >mount /dev/cdrom /mnt -o ro -t iso9660
    >
    >in kernel 2.4.19 yields 8.3 file names like abcdef~1.xyz although "man
    >mount" says Rock Ridge is enabled by default.
    >
    >Win98 sees long file names in this CD. Any idea?

    Long Windows filenames are, IIRC, "Joliet" extensions, not "Rock Ridge"
    extensions. "Rock Ridge" extensions are for Unixish filesystems, not
    MSWindowsish filesystems. Does your kernel support "Joliet" filesystems? (For
    that matter, does your kernel support "Rock Ridge"?)

    --
    Lew Pitcher
    IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions

  3. Re: Cannot enable Rock Ridge mounting iso9660

    Thank you a lot!

    > Long Windows filenames are, IIRC, "Joliet" extensions, not "Rock Ridge"
    > extensions. "Rock Ridge" extensions are for Unixish filesystems, not
    > MSWindowsish filesystems. Does your kernel support "Joliet" filesystems?

    After enabling kernel's support for Joliet file system, I see the long
    file names in that CD.

    > (For that matter, does your kernel support "Rock Ridge"?)

    Yes. It does, but as you pointed out, Rock Ridge does not see long
    file names in that CD which is made for Windowz.

    Best Regards,
    CN

+ Reply to Thread