compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1 - Linux

This is a discussion on compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1 - Linux ; Hi, I installed RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on Compaq Proliant 370 DL. It works fine for a time, but suddenly it stops to respond. Ping still works fine, but I'm not able to connect throug telnet or any other ...

  1. compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1

    Hi,

    I installed RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on Compaq Proliant 370 DL. It
    works fine for a time, but suddenly it stops to respond.

    Ping still works fine, but I'm not able to connect throug telnet or any
    other network service, also the console is dead. The only solution is to
    power off the machine.

    After reboot I lways checked all logs, but there is nothing helpful in logs.
    I also checked sar logs, but there is nothing strange inthere. sar also
    stops making any additional records in its log when the problem occured.

    The same problems occured on another Compaq Server ML 580.

    Is there any idea, how can I solve the problem or how can I discover what
    cause the problem?

    Regards,
    Lovro

  2. Re: compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1

    In article , Lovro VREİ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on Compaq Proliant 370 DL. It
    > works fine for a time, but suddenly it stops to respond.
    >
    > Ping still works fine, but I'm not able to connect throug telnet or any
    > other network service, also the console is dead. The only solution is to
    > power off the machine.
    >
    > After reboot I lways checked all logs, but there is nothing helpful in logs.
    > I also checked sar logs, but there is nothing strange inthere. sar also
    > stops making any additional records in its log when the problem occured.
    >
    > The same problems occured on another Compaq Server ML 580.
    >
    > Is there any idea, how can I solve the problem or how can I discover what
    > cause the problem?

    Rather hard if there is nothing in /var/log/messages .
    Just for your info, I also had some proliants that creeped to a halt,
    it was some dma bug with the cdroms, so after turning off dma on the
    cdroms everything was ok.
    Also make sure you have all the latest erratas (especially the kernel)

  3. Re: compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1

    Post the output of lsmod please.
    Compaq offers different NIC drivers
    sometimes than the ones found in the distro.

    //

    Lovro VREİ wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on Compaq Proliant 370 DL. It
    > works fine for a time, but suddenly it stops to respond.
    >
    > Ping still works fine, but I'm not able to connect throug telnet or any
    > other network service, also the console is dead. The only solution is to
    > power off the machine.
    >
    > After reboot I lways checked all logs, but there is nothing helpful in logs.
    > I also checked sar logs, but there is nothing strange inthere. sar also
    > stops making any additional records in its log when the problem occured.
    >
    > The same problems occured on another Compaq Server ML 580.
    >
    > Is there any idea, how can I solve the problem or how can I discover what
    > cause the problem?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Lovro

  4. Re: compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1

    wb wrote:
    > Post the output of lsmod please.
    > Compaq offers different NIC drivers
    > sometimes than the ones found in the distro.
    >
    > //
    >
    > Lovro VREİ wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on Compaq Proliant 370
    >> DL. It
    >> works fine for a time, but suddenly it stops to respond.
    >>
    >> Ping still works fine, but I'm not able to connect throug telnet or any
    >> other network service, also the console is dead. The only solution is to
    >> power off the machine.
    >>
    >> After reboot I lways checked all logs, but there is nothing helpful in
    >> logs.
    >> I also checked sar logs, but there is nothing strange inthere. sar also
    >> stops making any additional records in its log when the problem occured.
    >>
    >> The same problems occured on another Compaq Server ML 580.
    >>
    >> Is there any idea, how can I solve the problem or how can I discover what
    >> cause the problem?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Lovro

    I've had similar problems with my Compaq Proliant 6500 and 5000 series machines running RH 7.3. When I copy
    large amounts of data initiating the copy from the destination machine the source often has a problem where
    the network cart goes into spasms where on the text console the card is trying to negotiate full / half
    duplex. When this happens the only resolution I've found is rebooting the machine. I've tried
    /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network stop or restart but it doesn't fix. I have noticed that if I attempt a similar
    transfer but start the copy from the source to the destination the NIC locks up much less frequently. I've
    tried this on Netgear 10/100 hubs, Linksys 10/100 BEFSR41 switch and a GetNet 8 port switch. The machine I've
    had the most trouble with runs the tlan Ethernet driver.

    ls -l /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.7/drivers/net/tlan.c
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 94541 Aug 18 14:33 /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.7/drivers/net/tlan.c
    [root@softtail mail]# lsmod
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    esp 22112 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    ide-cd 32352 0 (autoclean)
    cdrom 32608 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
    cyclades 150496 0 (autoclean)
    soundcore 7044 0 (autoclean)
    binfmt_misc 7524 1
    autofs 12292 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    nfs 79420 4 (autoclean)
    nfsd 78048 8 (autoclean)
    lockd 57600 1 (autoclean) [nfs nfsd]
    sunrpc 83124 1 (autoclean) [nfs nfsd lockd]
    olympic 19072 1
    tlan 28896 1
    st 30416 0 (unused)
    ext3 69536 3
    jbd 51720 3 [ext3]
    aic7xxx 135040 0
    sym53c8xx 63268 0
    cpqarray 23904 4
    sd_mod 12828 0 (unused)
    scsi_mod 112860 4 [st aic7xxx sym53c8xx sd_mod]

  5. Re: compaq server stop responding using RedHat AS 2.1

    rowan wrote:

    > wb wrote:
    >
    >> Post the output of lsmod please.
    >> Compaq offers different NIC drivers
    >> sometimes than the ones found in the distro.
    >>
    >> //
    >>
    >> Lovro VREİ wrote:
    >>

    > I've had similar problems with my Compaq Proliant 6500 and 5000 series
    > machines running RH 7.3. When I copy large amounts of data initiating
    > the copy from the destination machine the source often has a problem
    > where the network cart goes into spasms where on the text console the
    > card is trying to negotiate full / half duplex. When this happens the
    > only resolution I've found is rebooting the machine. I've tried
    > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network stop or restart but it doesn't fix. I have
    > noticed that if I attempt a similar transfer but start the copy from the
    > source to the destination the NIC locks up much less frequently. I've
    > tried this on Netgear 10/100 hubs, Linksys 10/100 BEFSR41 switch and a
    > GetNet 8 port switch. The machine I've had the most trouble with runs
    > the tlan Ethernet driver.
    >
    > ls -l /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.7/drivers/net/tlan.c
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 94541 Aug 18 14:33
    > /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.7/drivers/net/tlan.c
    > [root@softtail mail]# lsmod
    > Module Size Used by Not tainted
    > esp 22112 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    > ide-cd 32352 0 (autoclean)
    > cdrom 32608 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
    > cyclades 150496 0 (autoclean)
    > soundcore 7044 0 (autoclean)
    > binfmt_misc 7524 1
    > autofs 12292 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    > nfs 79420 4 (autoclean)
    > nfsd 78048 8 (autoclean)
    > lockd 57600 1 (autoclean) [nfs nfsd]
    > sunrpc 83124 1 (autoclean) [nfs nfsd lockd]
    > olympic 19072 1
    > tlan 28896 1
    > st 30416 0 (unused)
    > ext3 69536 3
    > jbd 51720 3 [ext3]
    > aic7xxx 135040 0
    > sym53c8xx 63268 0
    > cpqarray 23904 4
    > sd_mod 12828 0 (unused)
    > scsi_mod 112860 4 [st aic7xxx sym53c8xx sd_mod]

    Those are older machines .

    I don't think tlan has an alternate driver offered by Cpq.

    eepro100/1000 ( Compaq calls them e100/e1000)
    and bcm5700 ( Compaq version tr3 ) for the newer
    boxes are the ones I know of.

+ Reply to Thread