Memory Usage Problem - Linux

This is a discussion on Memory Usage Problem - Linux ; My PC has the following configuration: P4 2.6MHz 1G RAM motherboard supports hyperthreading I am using Redhat 7.3. My problem is when I use "top" to monitor memory usage of my system, the memory usage increases continuously at a rather ...

  1. Memory Usage Problem

    My PC has the following configuration:
    P4 2.6MHz 1G RAM motherboard supports hyperthreading

    I am using Redhat 7.3.

    My problem is when I use "top" to monitor memory usage of my system,
    the memory usage increases continuously at a rather constant level of
    8K each interval even though there is no process running at all. After
    some time, all the memory will be used up and eventually I have to
    reboot the system to refresh the memory usage. Clearly this is a big
    problem when my server is supposed to give high availability.

    I would like to ask if that the monitoring process by "top" will
    consume memory usage? And what I can do to solve this? My whole system
    is newly purchased, so it shouldn't have this kind of problem.

    Thanks anyone who helps.

    Ivan

  2. Re: Memory Usage Problem

    On 26 Oct 2003 21:14:01 -0800, tsang_ivan@hotmail.com (Ivan) wrote:

    >My PC has the following configuration:
    >P4 2.6MHz 1G RAM motherboard supports hyperthreading
    >
    >I am using Redhat 7.3.
    >
    >My problem is when I use "top" to monitor memory usage of my system,

    A dumb question: are you /sure/ that you know what the figures from "top"
    represent? There's a /lot/ of misunderstanding about the derivation of the free
    memory figures.

    Please show us a couple of example "top" outputs that illustrate your problem.

    [snip]

    --
    Lew Pitcher
    IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions

  3. Re: Memory Usage Problem

    tsang_ivan@hotmail.com (Ivan) wrote in message news:<4b5da7b5.0310262114.295eaec5@posting.google.com>...
    > My PC has the following configuration:
    > P4 2.6MHz 1G RAM motherboard supports hyperthreading
    >
    > I am using Redhat 7.3.
    >
    > My problem is when I use "top" to monitor memory usage of my system,
    > the memory usage increases continuously at a rather constant level of
    > 8K each interval even though there is no process running at all.

    Well that is quite obviously impossible - some processes must be
    running

    > After
    > some time, all the memory will be used up and eventually I have to
    > reboot the system to refresh the memory usage. Clearly this is a big
    > problem when my server is supposed to give high availability.

    Er. Does the system become unusable at this point or do you just
    reboot because thats what you do with Windoze? You do know that caches
    are *good*?

    > I would like to ask if that the monitoring process by "top" will
    > consume memory usage? And what I can do to solve this? My whole system
    > is newly purchased, so it shouldn't have this kind of problem.

    Doesn't sound like the system has a problem from the information you
    have given?

    > Thanks anyone who helps.
    >
    > Ivan

    Take a shufty here for a starter...