Backing up questions? - Linux

This is a discussion on Backing up questions? - Linux ; Hi! When one finally configurated a server with say, filesharing for Appletalk and samba and added users and accessprivileges, since this requires to recompile kernel (appletalk) and fiddeling around with a lot of configurationfiles is there any smart way to ...

  1. Backing up questions?

    Hi!

    When one finally configurated a server with say, filesharing for
    Appletalk and samba and added users and accessprivileges, since this
    requires to recompile kernel (appletalk) and fiddeling around with a lot
    of configurationfiles is there any smart way to backup everything (from
    kernel to konfiguration files) when i feel everything works smoothly?

    If i get a HD-crash or some other horrible thing should happen i would
    hate spending a whole weekend reinstalling/recompiling/reconfiguring
    everything again.

    The most easy thing i can imagine is to tar /etc /usr /lib partitions
    for untaring on an other disk.

    Or is there any bootable linux distro that can "clone" a HD to another
    HD with partitions and all, maybe even regardless of the destinationdisk
    is bigger than the source disk? I know Ghost can do this but is there
    any OpenSource alternative?

    Any suggestions welcome!

    Remove all before "mog" to reply by email.

  2. Re: Backing up questions?

    Mats wrote in message news:...
    > Hi!
    >
    > When one finally configurated a server with say, filesharing for
    > Appletalk and samba and added users and accessprivileges, since this
    > requires to recompile kernel (appletalk) and fiddeling around with a lot
    > of configurationfiles is there any smart way to backup everything (from
    > kernel to konfiguration files) when i feel everything works smoothly?
    >
    > If i get a HD-crash or some other horrible thing should happen i would
    > hate spending a whole weekend reinstalling/recompiling/reconfiguring
    > everything again.
    >
    > The most easy thing i can imagine is to tar /etc /usr /lib partitions
    > for untaring on an other disk.
    >
    > Or is there any bootable linux distro that can "clone" a HD to another
    > HD with partitions and all, maybe even regardless of the destinationdisk
    > is bigger than the source disk? I know Ghost can do this but is there
    > any OpenSource alternative?
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome!

    Take a look here for various tools:

    http://freshmeat.net

  3. Re: Backing up questions?

    Mats wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > If i get a HD-crash or some other horrible thing should happen i would
    > hate spending a whole weekend reinstalling/recompiling/reconfiguring
    > everything again.
    >
    > The most easy thing i can imagine is to tar /etc /usr /lib partitions
    > for untaring on an other disk.

    Well, tar up your running kernel's .config, System.map, and vmlinuz (by
    default called bzImage in arch/i386/boot/ in the kernel source tree
    after a build), and do this app by app. /lib shouldn't be necessary, as
    the libraries should stay the same from app to app, and you should be
    safe ignoring /usr too. /etc would be a good idea, as would /home/ (user
    data). This all assumes you don't have user data outside of /home.

    Burn the resulting compressed tarfile(s) to CD, and voila, your backup,
    ready for untarring whenever it is i needed.

    Keep in mind, this will vary from system to system.

    --
    Chris Shepherd

  4. Re: Backing up questions?

    On Sunday 26 October 2003 08:06 am, Mats wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > When one finally configurated a server with say, filesharing for
    > Appletalk and samba and added users and accessprivileges, since this
    > requires to recompile kernel (appletalk) and fiddeling around with a lot
    > of configurationfiles is there any smart way to backup everything (from
    > kernel to konfiguration files) when i feel everything works smoothly?
    >
    > If i get a HD-crash or some other horrible thing should happen i would
    > hate spending a whole weekend reinstalling/recompiling/reconfiguring
    > everything again.
    >
    > The most easy thing i can imagine is to tar /etc /usr /lib partitions
    > for untaring on an other disk.
    >
    > Or is there any bootable linux distro that can "clone" a HD to another
    > HD with partitions and all, maybe even regardless of the destinationdisk
    > is bigger than the source disk? I know Ghost can do this but is there
    > any OpenSource alternative?
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome!

    There's a short FAQ on GNU/Linux system backups you may find useful, at:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

    Peace.

    --
    Karsten M. Self http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    Information is not power after all: Old-fashioned power is power. If you

+ Reply to Thread