Router - Linux

This is a discussion on Router - Linux ; Hi all I have install RH9.0 on one of my computer. I would like to use this computer as my main gateway to the internet and a DNS server. Does anyone know how to or where I should go to ...

  1. Router

    Hi all

    I have install RH9.0 on one of my computer. I would like to use this
    computer as my main gateway to the internet and a DNS server. Does anyone
    know how to or where I should go to find the information to set this up.
    Thanks all

  2. Re: Router

    Bao wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have install RH9.0 on one of my computer. I would like to use this
    > computer as my main gateway to the internet and a DNS server. Does anyone
    > know how to or where I should go to find the information to set this up.
    > Thanks all

    Try a google search. But first you need:
    NAT, DNS (not necessary), iptables, SQUID (+a patch for tri-state if you
    have a dial-up connection) and a lot of reading. The how tos are just
    fine...
    P.

  3. Re: Router

    "Peter Tselios" wrote in message
    > Bao wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I have install RH9.0 on one of my computer. I would like to use this
    > > computer as my main gateway to the internet and a DNS server. Does

    anyone
    > > know how to or where I should go to find the information to set this up.
    > > Thanks all

    > Try a google search. But first you need:
    > NAT, DNS (not necessary), iptables, SQUID (+a patch for tri-state if you
    > have a dial-up connection) and a lot of reading. The how tos are just
    > fine...
    > P.

    The HOWTOs from The Linux Documentation Project at www.tldp.org were just
    what I needed when I set up my box to do just what you're planning.
    -- Steve

  4. Re: Router

    Do a search for ip masquerading on Yahoo.
    I have a redhat 8 set up as a router for my xp box.
    -It's really great!
    -I can help you do it, I am very familiar
    with how to set it up.
    Josh Beck
    "Bao" wrote in message
    news:JJJmb.51518$3f.39965@twister01.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have install RH9.0 on one of my computer. I would like to use this
    > computer as my main gateway to the internet and a DNS server. Does anyone
    > know how to or where I should go to find the information to set this up.
    > Thanks all

  5. Re: Router

    thanks all,

    I will begin my search now

    "webmaster" wrote in message
    news:gY_mb.558$pB5.293@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com. ..
    > Do a search for ip masquerading on Yahoo.
    > I have a redhat 8 set up as a router for my xp box.
    > -It's really great!
    > -I can help you do it, I am very familiar
    > with how to set it up.
    > Josh Beck
    > "Bao" wrote in message
    > news:JJJmb.51518$3f.39965@twister01.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I have install RH9.0 on one of my computer. I would like to use this
    > > computer as my main gateway to the internet and a DNS server. Does

    anyone
    > > know how to or where I should go to find the information to set this up.
    > > Thanks all

  6. Re: Router

    Peter Tselios wrote:
    > Try a google search. But first you need:
    > NAT, DNS (not necessary), iptables, SQUID (+a patch for tri-state if you

    NAT is provided by netfilter (which is included in 2.4 kernels), and
    squid is entirely optional and not required. In truth, you just need a
    kernel to do gatewaying, and it is fairly simple.

    Check the netfilter docs on how to enable simple masquerading.

    --
    Chris Shepherd

+ Reply to Thread