Halt/Suspend/Standby - Linux

This is a discussion on Halt/Suspend/Standby - Linux ; I have to use both Windows and Unix (Linux) OS'es with notebook HP Omnibook 6100. Standard Win98 SE and Red Hat Linux 7.2 were working perfectly. On last week this notebook is repaired. I update BIOS (as it is recommended ...

  1. Halt/Suspend/Standby

    I have to use both Windows and Unix (Linux) OS'es with notebook HP Omnibook
    6100. Standard Win98 SE and Red Hat Linux 7.2 were working perfectly. On
    last week this notebook is repaired. I update BIOS (as it is recommended by
    HP), next I restore Win98se (as it was described in guide) and install Linux
    Mandrake 9.1. The problem appears when I try to "#halt", standby ("#apm -s")
    or suspend ("#apm -S") PC under Linux environment (kernel 2.4.22-10mdk):
    notebook turns off, but the power led is active and pc can be turned on only
    after the battery is extracted and inserted again. No problem is under W98
    with HP supported drivers.

    Would you be so kind to advice me the way how to workaround this problem?

    Regards,
    Dmitry Tarasyuk.

  2. Re: Halt/Suspend/Standby

    "Dmitriy Tarasyuk 2147483647" wrote in message news:<1066844454.688464@ndiasb.kiev.ua>...
    > I have to use both Windows and Unix (Linux) OS'es with notebook HP Omnibook
    > 6100. Standard Win98 SE and Red Hat Linux 7.2 were working perfectly. On
    > last week this notebook is repaired. I update BIOS (as it is recommended by
    > HP), next I restore Win98se (as it was described in guide) and install Linux
    > Mandrake 9.1. The problem appears when I try to "#halt", standby ("#apm -s")
    > or suspend ("#apm -S") PC under Linux environment (kernel 2.4.22-10mdk):
    > notebook turns off, but the power led is active and pc can be turned on only
    > after the battery is extracted and inserted again. No problem is under W98
    > with HP supported drivers.
    >
    > Would you be so kind to advice me the way how to workaround this problem?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dmitry Tarasyuk.

    i would try #init 0
    if this does not work either then i would go back to the old BIOS.
    this one must have some different code.

    hope this helps, let us know
    --Lehi

  3. Re: Halt/Suspend/Standby

    i'm almost sure this has something to do with APM vs ACPI maybe now your
    notebook suports ACPI but linux doesn't ... check in your bios wheter you
    can switch acpi/apm on/off

    "Dmitriy Tarasyuk 2147483647" wrote in message
    > I have to use both Windows and Unix (Linux) OS'es with notebook HP

    Omnibook
    > 6100. Standard Win98 SE and Red Hat Linux 7.2 were working perfectly. On
    > last week this notebook is repaired. I update BIOS (as it is recommended

    by
    > HP), next I restore Win98se (as it was described in guide) and install

    Linux
    > Mandrake 9.1. The problem appears when I try to "#halt", standby

    ("#apm -s")
    > or suspend ("#apm -S") PC under Linux environment (kernel 2.4.22-10mdk):
    > notebook turns off, but the power led is active and pc can be turned on

    only
    > after the battery is extracted and inserted again. No problem is under W98
    > with HP supported drivers.
    >
    > Would you be so kind to advice me the way how to workaround this problem?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dmitry Tarasyuk.

  4. Re: Halt/Suspend/Standby

    Any combinations ACPI/APM in BIOS and Linux make no results. Unfortunatelly,
    HP BIOS upgrade doesn't save old bios version So I'm not able to go back
    to the old one. Now I have make workaround: I replace halt with reboot
    command. When LILO window is active suspend button works fine.

    > i'm almost sure this has something to do with APM vs ACPI maybe now your
    > notebook suports ACPI but linux doesn't ... check in your bios wheter you
    > can switch acpi/apm on/off
    >
    > "Dmitriy Tarasyuk 2147483647" wrote in message
    > > I have to use both Windows and Unix (Linux) OS'es with notebook HP

    > Omnibook
    > > 6100. Standard Win98 SE and Red Hat Linux 7.2 were working perfectly. On
    > > last week this notebook is repaired. I update BIOS (as it is recommended

    > by
    > > HP), next I restore Win98se (as it was described in guide) and install

    > Linux
    > > Mandrake 9.1. The problem appears when I try to "#halt", standby

    > ("#apm -s")
    > > or suspend ("#apm -S") PC under Linux environment (kernel 2.4.22-10mdk):
    > > notebook turns off, but the power led is active and pc can be turned on

    > only
    > > after the battery is extracted and inserted again. No problem is under

    W98
    > > with HP supported drivers.
    > >
    > > Would you be so kind to advice me the way how to workaround this

    problem?

    > > Regards,
    > > Dmitry Tarasyuk.

+ Reply to Thread