harmless CRC and seek errors? - Linux

This is a discussion on harmless CRC and seek errors? - Linux ; >gshanemiller @ comcast.net writes: the following errors appear during the boot sequence consistently: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC } hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { ...

  1. harmless CRC and seek errors?

    >gshanemiller @ comcast.net writes:

    the following errors appear during the boot sequence
    consistently:

    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

    however nothing "wrong" appears to happen ever. the system
    works great. even fschk never complains. there are no, zero
    subsequent problems or issues.

    it's a RH 2.4.20-20.9custom i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux box
    running an AMD MB and AMD processor. the HD is an IBM 80GB
    Deskstar IDE drive. i have set *nothing* via hdparms. the
    make of the motherboard is MSI KT3 Ultra2 VIA KT333.

    i am making backups just in case because, in the long run,
    nothing good will come from this. the kernel compile flags
    are included as a postscript.

    ideas?

    regards,
    shane

    ----------------
    $ egrep -i "IDE|HD|FS" .config | grep -v VIDEO | grep -v ^#
    CONFIG_IDE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
    CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
    CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
    CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
    CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
    CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
    CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
    CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
    CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
    CONFIG_TMPFS=y
    CONFIG_RAMFS=y
    CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
    CONFIG_VXFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_HPFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
    CONFIG_UDF_FS=y
    CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_CODA_FS=y
    CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
    CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
    CONFIG_NFSD=m
    CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
    CONFIG_SMB_FS=m

  2. Re: harmless CRC and seek errors?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:27:50 -0700, shane miller wrote:

    >>gshanemiller @ comcast.net writes:

    > the following errors appear during the boot sequence
    > consistently:
    >
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    >
    > however nothing "wrong" appears to happen ever. the system
    > works great. even fschk never complains. there are no, zero
    > subsequent problems or issues.
    >
    > it's a RH 2.4.20-20.9custom i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux box
    > running an AMD MB and AMD processor. the HD is an IBM 80GB
    > Deskstar IDE drive. i have set *nothing* via hdparms. the
    > make of the motherboard is MSI KT3 Ultra2 VIA KT333.
    >
    > i am making backups just in case because, in the long run,
    > nothing good will come from this. the kernel compile flags
    > are included as a postscript.
    >
    > ideas?
    >
    > regards,
    > shane
    >
    > ----------------
    > $ egrep -i "IDE|HD|FS" .config | grep -v VIDEO | grep -v ^#
    > CONFIG_IDE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    > CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
    > CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
    > CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
    > CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
    > CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
    > CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
    > CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    > CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
    > CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
    > CONFIG_TMPFS=y
    > CONFIG_RAMFS=y
    > CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
    > CONFIG_VXFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_HPFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
    > CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
    > CONFIG_UDF_FS=y
    > CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_CODA_FS=y
    > CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
    > CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
    > CONFIG_NFSD=m
    > CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
    > CONFIG_SMB_FS=m

    I hope its better than the 75gx ibm's - they go from a few coughs to dead
    in a couple of days !

    Its possible the drive geometry doesnt match the physical disk ! I dont
    know how you could manage this (short of dd copying a mismatched drive).
    If this is the case the filesystem is seeking past the end of the phsical
    disk, but I doubt this... Its probably just a dieing drive .....

  3. Re: harmless CRC and seek errors?

    I get errors too
    hdc: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdc: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

    Once the hd "locked up" the system worked but the harddrive stoped respond..
    in freebsd it works great tho, any ideas?

    Johnny

    "shane miller" skrev i meddelandet
    news:b7454580.0310181527.6019491@posting.google.co m...
    > >gshanemiller @ comcast.net writes:

    > the following errors appear during the boot sequence
    > consistently:
    >
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    >
    > however nothing "wrong" appears to happen ever. the system
    > works great. even fschk never complains. there are no, zero
    > subsequent problems or issues.
    >
    > it's a RH 2.4.20-20.9custom i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux box
    > running an AMD MB and AMD processor. the HD is an IBM 80GB
    > Deskstar IDE drive. i have set *nothing* via hdparms. the
    > make of the motherboard is MSI KT3 Ultra2 VIA KT333.
    >
    > i am making backups just in case because, in the long run,
    > nothing good will come from this. the kernel compile flags
    > are included as a postscript.
    >
    > ideas?
    >
    > regards,
    > shane
    >
    > ----------------
    > $ egrep -i "IDE|HD|FS" .config | grep -v VIDEO | grep -v ^#
    > CONFIG_IDE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    > CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
    > CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
    > CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
    > CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
    > CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
    > CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
    > CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    > CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
    > CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
    > CONFIG_TMPFS=y
    > CONFIG_RAMFS=y
    > CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
    > CONFIG_VXFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_HPFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
    > CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
    > CONFIG_UDF_FS=y
    > CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
    > CONFIG_CODA_FS=y
    > CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
    > CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
    > CONFIG_NFSD=m
    > CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
    > CONFIG_SMB_FS=m

  4. Re: harmless CRC and seek errors?

    clearthink@attbi.com (shane miller) wrote in message news:...
    > >gshanemiller @ comcast.net writes:

    > the following errors appear during the boot sequence
    > consistently:
    >
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

    Sounds like the drive is on its way out. What do your S.M.A.R.T tools tell you?

+ Reply to Thread