OpenLDAP backup - Linux

This is a discussion on OpenLDAP backup - Linux ; Hi! What's the best way to backup the data stored in OpenLDAP 2.1.22 directory? I'm using ldbm database type. Currenty I copy .dbb files while slapd server is online. What's wrong with that? Thanks, Dm...

  1. OpenLDAP backup

    Hi!
    What's the best way to backup the data stored in OpenLDAP 2.1.22 directory?
    I'm using ldbm database type.
    Currenty I copy .dbb files while slapd server is online. What's wrong with that?
    Thanks,
    Dm

  2. Re: OpenLDAP backup

    Dm wrote:
    > Hi!
    > What's the best way to backup the data stored in OpenLDAP 2.1.22 directory?
    > I'm using ldbm database type.
    > Currenty I copy .dbb files while slapd server is online. What's wrong with that?

    That will probably work; however, you run the risk of corrupted data files
    if someone is writing to the directory when you're backing it up.

    I've generally used slapcat to dump out the directory. Over 12,000 user
    accounts results in a ldif file that's slightly over 5 megs. I back
    that up, the scripts I use for modifying the directory and the directory
    config file every night.

    I can still miss an entry if someone were updating their entry during
    the 30 seconds it takes to dump the directory; however, since I run
    this at 0200 every morning *and* the users don't currrently have the
    capability of updating their entries, I'm reasonably safe. Even if I
    did miss an entry, it'd get caught the next night

    My $.02...

    Doug

    --------
    Senior UNIX Admin