File System Hierarchy Questions - Linux

This is a discussion on File System Hierarchy Questions - Linux ; Apparently the home of the File System Hierarchy, FHS, is : http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ However I haven't found the meaning of the initials there. I woulk like to know an official place where I could read these informations. Here is what I ...

  1. File System Hierarchy Questions

    Apparently the home of the File System Hierarchy, FHS, is :
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

    However I haven't found the meaning of the initials there.
    I woulk like to know an official place where I could read these informations.

    Here is what I have read from non official place :
    /etc
    ET Cetera: Intuitive but makes it really a sense ?
    It's the one which takes me the biggest problem.
    I can't believe it means ET Cetera but I have never read anything else.
    /usr
    USeRs: The most intuitive.
    Or
    Unix System Resources
    I think the good one is the latter but I'm not sure.
    /opt
    OPTional Software: I think this is right.

    --
    Cyril

  2. Re: File System Hierarchy Questions

    Cyril Chevrot shaped electrons to say:
    > Apparently the home of the File System Hierarchy, FHS, is :
    > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
    >
    > However I haven't found the meaning of the initials there.
    > I woulk like to know an official place where I could read these informations.
    >
    > Here is what I have read from non official place :
    > /etc
    > ET Cetera: Intuitive but makes it really a sense ?
    > It's the one which takes me the biggest problem.
    > I can't believe it means ET Cetera but I have never read anything else.

    Yes, it is for "et cetera", things that weren't elsewhere. Dates from
    the earliest UNIX systems.

    > /usr
    > USeRs: The most intuitive.
    > Or
    > Unix System Resources
    > I think the good one is the latter but I'm not sure.

    Things neede for dealing with "users", things that aren't necessarily
    needed for boot time administrator use.

    > /opt
    > OPTional Software: I think this is right.

    Fairly new, it is for "optional" packages supplied by third parties (not
    the admin or the distribution supplier - most common example is Oracle.)

    The short names are historical hangovers. The original UNIX systems
    used 10 character per second Teletype(TM) terminals, and you wanted to
    keep things as short as possible for quicker typing. This also explains
    some of the short command names. ls - "list" rm - "remove" cp - "copy"
    and so on.

    --
    Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury `-_-' Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
    ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us U RHCT August 2003

+ Reply to Thread