hard disk error!! need help - Linux

This is a discussion on hard disk error!! need help - Linux ; I have this alpha machine that incidentally crashed a few days back. It had "Red Hat Linux 7.0 for alpha machines" on it. So I opened up the machine and found that the hard driving wasn't spinning. Thence, I decided ...

  1. hard disk error!! need help

    I have this alpha machine that incidentally crashed a few days back.
    It had "Red Hat Linux 7.0 for alpha machines" on it. So I opened up
    the machine and found that the hard driving wasn't spinning. Thence, I
    decided to replace the hard drive with a similar hard drive (SCSI,
    wide, 68pin). I connected everything and rebooted the computer. Now,
    it reboots fine till the SRM console where I can even see this hard
    drive as one of the drives. So I put the linux CD (Red Had 7.0) and
    start installing the linux by giving the appropriate flags. It starts
    booting, reaches aboot, then starts the SCSI scan and then for some
    reason fails to identify the hard drive I just connected. Still
    continues installing but while switching to the graphic mode (starting
    anaconda), the computer suddenly reboots throwing me back to the SRM
    console. I tried connecting two three different drives but alas! to my
    dissapointment nothing worked.

    So I am stuck here with a completely opened chassis of my computer
    willing to open my mind for any kind of suggestion. Anything at all
    will be appreciated.

    Thank you and have a nice day

    Kartik

  2. Re: hard disk error!! need help

    On 2 Oct 2003 09:48:55 -0700, Kartik Arora wrote:
    > I have this alpha machine that incidentally crashed a few days back.
    > It had "Red Hat Linux 7.0 for alpha machines" on it. So I opened up
    > the machine and found that the hard driving wasn't spinning. Thence, I
    > decided to replace the hard drive with a similar hard drive (SCSI,
    > wide, 68pin). I connected everything and rebooted the computer. Now,
    > it reboots fine till the SRM console where I can even see this hard
    > drive as one of the drives. So I put the linux CD (Red Had 7.0) and
    > start installing the linux by giving the appropriate flags. It starts
    > booting, reaches aboot, then starts the SCSI scan and then for some
    > reason fails to identify the hard drive I just connected. Still
    > continues installing but while switching to the graphic mode (starting
    > anaconda), the computer suddenly reboots throwing me back to the SRM
    > console. I tried connecting two three different drives but alas! to my
    > dissapointment nothing worked.

    have you tried replacing the scsi cable?

    --
    my life, my universe, my everything
    www.dtch.org

+ Reply to Thread