auto loading fat anf vfat modules - Linux

This is a discussion on auto loading fat anf vfat modules - Linux ; Hey , I recently seperately compiled my fat and vfat drivers as modules so as to be able to mount my windows fat partitons. I have two problems with loading them here. 1. "modprobe vfat" isn't able to automatically load ...

  1. auto loading fat anf vfat modules

    Hey ,
    I recently seperately compiled my fat and vfat drivers as modules
    so as to be able to mount my windows fat partitons. I have two
    problems with loading them here.

    1. "modprobe vfat" isn't able to automatically load fat.o and then
    vfat.o I have to manually insmod fat and then vfat in that order. But
    isn't modprobe supposed to be able to detect and do this by itself ?
    Since I didn't compile them as modules along with the kernel, do I
    need to add some conf info somewhere ?

    2. How can Kernel Module Loader be used to auto load these modules
    either when needed to mount the windows partitions or during startup ?

    Thx a zil
    'j'

  2. Re: auto loading fat anf vfat modules

    james jose wrote:

    > Hey ,
    > I recently seperately compiled my fat and vfat drivers as modules
    > so as to be able to mount my windows fat partitons. I have two
    > problems with loading them here.
    >
    > 1. "modprobe vfat" isn't able to automatically load fat.o and then
    > vfat.o I have to manually insmod fat and then vfat in that order. But
    > isn't modprobe supposed to be able to detect and do this by itself ?
    > Since I didn't compile them as modules along with the kernel, do I
    > need to add some conf info somewhere ?

    Try doing a 'depmod -a' and then attempt to modprobe vfat without the
    fat module being loaded. If this doesn't work, look at the
    /lib/modules//modules.dep file. There should be a line
    referencing vfat.o and on the same line there should be a path to the
    fat.o module. If its not there then somethings maybe out of sync between
    the kernel your running and your modules, or maybe you need to update
    your module utilities for your kernel.

    > 2. How can Kernel Module Loader be used to auto load these modules
    > either when needed to mount the windows partitions or during startup ?

    If you have a line like this in your kernel config:
    CONFIG_KMOD=y
    it should load the module automatically when you attempt to mount a vfat
    partition, assuming your using the kernel that was built with that config.

    -Don

+ Reply to Thread