autofs/nfs + shutdown problem - Linux

This is a discussion on autofs/nfs + shutdown problem - Linux ; Hi folks, i originally posted this in linux.networking, but no one answered, so i'm hoping maybe someone here could give me a pointer or tip. I have a shutdown problem i was hoping someone could help me with. I'm bit ...

  1. autofs/nfs + shutdown problem

    Hi folks, i originally posted this in linux.networking, but no one
    answered, so i'm hoping maybe someone here could give me a pointer or
    tip.

    I have a shutdown problem i was hoping someone could help me with. I'm
    bit of a newbie, so please bear with me. I'm running a NIS / NFS
    server, and export home directories etc to my clients. The clients use
    the automounter to mount the relevant directories. I'm using Mandrake
    9.0. Everything runs fine until shutdown.

    When a client shutsdown, i get RPC errors, these seems to vary a
    little to what they apply to. They look as follows:

    Unmounting NFS File System: umount2 Device or Resource Busy
    umount: /home/user/chedburgh: not mounted

    Then i get a series of RPC failures, such as

    RPC: Sendmsg returned error 101
    nfs: RPC call returned error 101

    Sometimes the portmapper reports this error instead.

    I found perror 101 = Network is unreadable

    My syslog reports the following:

    Sep 22 22:52:23 mars umount: umount2: Device or resource busy
    Sep 22 22:52:23 mars umount: umount: /home/user/chedburgh: not mounted
    Sep 22 22:52:23 mars netfs: Unmounting NFS filesystems: failed
    Sep 22 22:52:30 mars netfs: Unmounting NFS filesystems (retry):
    succeeded
    Sep 22 22:52:37 mars netfs: Unmounting NFS filesystems (retry):
    succeeded

    Autofs is shutdown as K28, before the netfs shutdown script.

    This all seems to be linked to the automounter i think, as when i am
    logged in as root and shutdown, i get no troubles. When i shutdown,
    the automounter tends to complain it cant unmount the home dir, i
    assume this is because it has not timed out yet (expires after 180
    sec). Is it the order of the shutdown? I have moved the autofs
    shutdown script to after the netfs script, and it made no difference.
    Anyone have any ideas please?

    Also, i was curious to how others go about mounting home dirs, and if
    its possible to get the system to correctly unmount a home dir on
    shutdown?

    Any ideas, tips or pointers greatly appreciated Also, i'll post any
    config files if you need to see them, i'm just not sure which to post
    here now.

    cheers
    ched

  2. Re: autofs/nfs + shutdown problem

    ched wrote:
    > I have a shutdown problem i was hoping someone could help me with. I'm
    > bit of a newbie, so please bear with me. I'm running a NIS / NFS
    > server, and export home directories etc to my clients. The clients use
    > the automounter to mount the relevant directories. I'm using Mandrake
    > 9.0. Everything runs fine until shutdown.

    [... errors deleted ...]

    No help, but I just wanted to report that I get very similar errors
    under RedHat 9 and 7.3. I just ignore them and nothing bad ever seems
    to result. It just slows the shutdown down a little bit. Since I leave
    most of my machines at home and work up 24/7, I rarely see these
    messages. Just on my laptop at home and my "test mule" machine at
    work.

    I presume that you do get a fairly clean shutdown despite these
    errors?

    --
    Jim Buchanan jbuchana@buchanan1.net
    =================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

  3. Re: autofs/nfs + shutdown problem

    jbuchana@buchanan1.net wrote in message news:...
    > ched wrote:
    > > I have a shutdown problem i was hoping someone could help me with. I'm
    > > bit of a newbie, so please bear with me. I'm running a NIS / NFS
    > > server, and export home directories etc to my clients. The clients use
    > > the automounter to mount the relevant directories. I'm using Mandrake
    > > 9.0. Everything runs fine until shutdown.

    > [... errors deleted ...]
    >
    > No help, but I just wanted to report that I get very similar errors
    > under RedHat 9 and 7.3. I just ignore them and nothing bad ever seems
    > to result. It just slows the shutdown down a little bit. Since I leave
    > most of my machines at home and work up 24/7, I rarely see these
    > messages. Just on my laptop at home and my "test mule" machine at
    > work.
    >
    > I presume that you do get a fairly clean shutdown despite these
    > errors?

    Hi! Thanks for replying. Yes, shutdown is is fine apart from these,
    boot and normal running. Like you say, they dont seem to cause any
    problems, its just i hate it when something is not quite working hehe.

    cheers
    ched

+ Reply to Thread