Setting up Apache Webserver - Linux

This is a discussion on Setting up Apache Webserver - Linux ; I'm just joining the Linux world, and I long sought to set up a webserver for myself, just for fun, and eventually for an income source (I'm only 16, I have while to find another, better income source, though). Anyways, ...

  1. Setting up Apache Webserver

    I'm just joining the Linux world, and I long sought to set up a
    webserver for myself, just for fun, and eventually for an income
    source (I'm only 16, I have while to find another, better income
    source, though).

    Anyways, I installed Mandrake 9.1 nearly a week ago, and have become
    faintly familiar with it. I haven't quite grasped the concept of
    downloading and installing files, however.

    I want to download and install the Apache webserver, but am having
    problems doing so. I can download the files (tar.gz) but have no clue
    what to do from there (how to install, where it installs to, how to
    run after it is installed).

    Would someone please let me in on my OS's best kept secret?!?!

  2. Re: Setting up Apache Webserver

    On 25 Sep 2003 18:05:07 -0700, h3cks wrote:
    > I'm just joining the Linux world, and I long sought to set up a
    > webserver for myself, just for fun, and eventually for an income
    > source (I'm only 16, I have while to find another, better income
    > source, though).
    >
    > Anyways, I installed Mandrake 9.1 nearly a week ago, and have become
    > faintly familiar with it. I haven't quite grasped the concept of
    > downloading and installing files, however.
    >
    > I want to download and install the Apache webserver, but am having
    > problems doing so. I can download the files (tar.gz) but have no clue
    > what to do from there (how to install, where it installs to, how to
    > run after it is installed).
    >
    > Would someone please let me in on my OS's best kept secret?!?!

    If you started the httd service, and is on for your run level
    chkconfig --list | grep htt
    httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    does putting http://localhost/ in the url of your brownser return
    anything.

    If none of the above, goto the software manager and load httd
    start the service and try again.

  3. Re: Setting up Apache Webserver

    Bit Twister wrote in message news:...
    > On 25 Sep 2003 18:05:07 -0700, h3cks wrote:
    > > I'm just joining the Linux world, and I long sought to set up a
    > > webserver for myself, just for fun, and eventually for an income
    > > source (I'm only 16, I have while to find another, better income
    > > source, though).
    > >
    > > Anyways, I installed Mandrake 9.1 nearly a week ago, and have become
    > > faintly familiar with it. I haven't quite grasped the concept of
    > > downloading and installing files, however.
    > >
    > > I want to download and install the Apache webserver, but am having
    > > problems doing so. I can download the files (tar.gz) but have no clue
    > > what to do from there (how to install, where it installs to, how to
    > > run after it is installed).
    > >
    > > Would someone please let me in on my OS's best kept secret?!?!

    > If you started the httd service, and is on for your run level
    > chkconfig --list | grep htt
    > httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    >
    > does putting http://localhost/ in the url of your brownser return
    > anything.
    >
    > If none of the above, goto the software manager and load httd
    > start the service and try again.

    Well, see... I don't even know how to extract the tar.gz file, or what
    to do from there? I need help just installing it on my system, first.

  4. Re: Setting up Apache Webserver

    h3cks wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>On 25 Sep 2003 18:05:07 -0700, h3cks wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm just joining the Linux world, and I long sought to set up a
    >>>webserver for myself, just for fun, and eventually for an income
    >>>source (I'm only 16, I have while to find another, better income
    >>>source, though).
    >>>
    >>>Anyways, I installed Mandrake 9.1 nearly a week ago, and have become
    >>>faintly familiar with it. I haven't quite grasped the concept of
    >>>downloading and installing files, however.
    >>>
    >>>I want to download and install the Apache webserver, but am having
    >>>problems doing so. I can download the files (tar.gz) but have no clue
    >>>what to do from there (how to install, where it installs to, how to
    >>>run after it is installed).
    >>>
    >>>Would someone please let me in on my OS's best kept secret?!?!

    >>If you started the httd service, and is on for your run level
    >> chkconfig --list | grep htt
    >>httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    >>
    >>does putting http://localhost/ in the url of your brownser return
    >>anything.
    >>
    >>If none of the above, goto the software manager and load httd
    >>start the service and try again.

    > Well, see... I don't even know how to extract the tar.gz file, or what
    > to do from there? I need help just installing it on my system, first.

    The best advice I can give is google on how to unpack linux installation
    packages. Once it is upacked look for the README or INSTALL files and
    folow the instructions. It usally says do the following:
    ../configure
    make or make all
    make install

    If it is a RPM just rpm -ivh filename
    If it is a binary you usually just ./install and follow the gui--like
    Windows.

    Start by installing the latest Mozilla at mozilla.org.
    Then install flash player.
    Practice installing stuff before Apache.

  5. Re: Setting up Apache Webserver

    jeem wrote in message news:<99Qcb.4266$Hd6.2145884@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
    > h3cks wrote:
    > > Bit Twister wrote in message news:...

    > >>If you started the httd service, and is on for your run level
    > >> chkconfig --list | grep htt
    > >>httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    > >>
    > >>does putting http://localhost/ in the url of your brownser return
    > >>anything.
    > >>
    > >>If none of the above, goto the software manager and load httd
    > >>start the service and try again.

    > > Well, see... I don't even know how to extract the tar.gz file, or what
    > > to do from there? I need help just installing it on my system, first.

    > The best advice I can give is google on how to unpack linux installation
    > packages. Once it is upacked look for the README or INSTALL files and
    > folow the instructions. It usally says do the following:
    > ./configure
    > make or make all
    > make install
    >
    > If it is a RPM just rpm -ivh filename
    > If it is a binary you usually just ./install and follow the gui--like
    > Windows.
    >
    > Start by installing the latest Mozilla at mozilla.org.
    > Then install flash player.
    > Practice installing stuff before Apache.

    OK, so I went to mozilla.com, downloaded the tar.gz package..

    --- Login to shell as root
    --- CD into the Downloads directory, where the tar.gz is
    --- rpm -ta mozilla.blah.blah.tar.gz

    and it comes up with this:

    [root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -ta mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.4-sea.tar.gz
    error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
    error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
    error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
    error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
    error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
    error: License field must be present in package: (main package)

    Someone PLEASE help me. I really am not understanding this!

  6. Re: Setting up Apache Webserver

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:56:15 +0000, h3cks wrote:

    > jeem wrote in message
    >> h3cks wrote:
    >> > Bit Twister wrote in message

    >> > Well, see... I don't even know how to extract the tar.gz file, or what
    >> > to do from there? I need help just installing it on my system, first.

    >> The best advice I can give is google on how to unpack linux installation
    >> packages. Once it is upacked look for the README or INSTALL files and
    >> folow the instructions. It usally says do the following: ./configure
    >> make or make all
    >> make install
    >>
    >> If it is a RPM just rpm -ivh filename If it is a binary you usually
    >> just ./install and follow the gui--like Windows.
    >>
    >> Start by installing the latest Mozilla at mozilla.org. Then install
    >> flash player.
    >> Practice installing stuff before Apache.

    > OK, so I went to mozilla.com, downloaded the tar.gz package..
    >
    > --- Login to shell as root
    > --- CD into the Downloads directory, where the tar.gz is --- rpm -ta
    > mozilla.blah.blah.tar.gz
    >
    > and it comes up with this:
    >

    > [root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -ta
    > mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.4-sea.tar.gz error: Name field must be present
    > in package: (main package) error: Version field must be present in
    > package: (main package) error: Release field must be present in package:
    > (main package) error: Summary field must be present in package: (main
    > package) error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
    > error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
    >

    > Someone PLEASE help me. I really am not understanding this!

    to install from package.tar.gz: tar zxvf package.tar.gz

    You should put the package.tar.gz in /usr/local/ then unpack it as above.

    Mandrake also has the very cool command urpmi

    type man urpmi at the shell prompt and read everything twice.

    good luck

    --
    GNU/Linux is God
    get used to it

  7. Re: Setting up Apache Webserver

    h3cks wrote:
    > jeem wrote in message news:<99Qcb.4266$Hd6.2145884@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
    >
    >>h3cks wrote:

    >>>Well, see... I don't even know how to extract the tar.gz file, or what
    >>>to do from there? I need help just installing it on my system, first.

    >>The best advice I can give is google on how to unpack linux installation
    >>packages. Once it is upacked look for the README or INSTALL files and
    >>folow the instructions. It usally says do the following:
    >>./configure
    >>make or make all
    >>make install
    >>
    >>If it is a RPM just rpm -ivh filename
    >>If it is a binary you usually just ./install and follow the gui--like
    >>Windows.
    >>
    >>Start by installing the latest Mozilla at mozilla.org.
    >>Then install flash player.
    >>Practice installing stuff before Apache.

    > OK, so I went to mozilla.com, downloaded the tar.gz package..
    >
    > --- Login to shell as root
    > --- CD into the Downloads directory, where the tar.gz is
    > --- rpm -ta mozilla.blah.blah.tar.gz
    >
    > and it comes up with this:
    >

    > [root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -ta mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.4-sea.tar.gz
    > error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
    > error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
    > error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
    > error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
    > error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
    > error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
    >

    > Someone PLEASE help me. I really am not understanding this!

    You can ony use the rpm command with files that end in rpm. tar.gz is a
    different package format. Try gunzip -dc moz*.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
    Here is the link to the instructions.
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozi...ion.html#linux
    Jeem

+ Reply to Thread