Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment? - Linux

This is a discussion on Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment? - Linux ; Hi all. Stupid question here: I recently purchased a docking kit that allows me to insert/remove an IDE hard drive without opening the case. I've got some questions about how to utilize this hardware in Linux: - Is hotplug IDE ...

  1. Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment?

    Hi all. Stupid question here:

    I recently purchased a docking kit that allows me to insert/remove an
    IDE hard drive without opening the case. I've got some questions about
    how to utilize this hardware in Linux:

    - Is hotplug IDE generally supported under linux?

    - How do I instruct the kernel to rescan the IDE bus and update /proc?

    - I intend to use this drive not part of a RAID, but as a general
    filesystem. Anybody foresee problems with dismounting the filesystem
    and then removing the drive?

    - If I choose to use this drive under Sistina LVM (utilized in only 1
    volume group), do you think it is sufficient for me to dismount the
    filesystem, lvchange -a no, vgchange -a no, and then yank the drive?

    Thanks!
    david

  2. Re: Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment?

    I was under the impression that IDE devices werent safe to pull out of a
    live machine. I tried once with a hdd i had, and it blew the hdd, and the
    PSU with it. I think most people would advise against it, but it could be
    interesting ...

    ---

  3. Re: Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment?

    "chrisg" <70810@blackpool.ac.uk> wrote in message news:...
    > I was under the impression that IDE devices werent safe to pull out of a
    > live machine. I tried once with a hdd i had, and it blew the hdd, and the
    > PSU with it. I think most people would advise against it, but it could be
    > interesting ...

    If you cut the power and wait until the drive spin down, it would be
    safe
    to pull out of a live machine. However, the reverse is not necessary
    true. There is no easy way to do a drive reset, as some people have
    suggested.