Hi folks,

I have a big headaque. One of my two Linux boxes someday somehow got a
problem that since then ftp has never been able to login either from
remote or localhost. Telnet and SSH work fine and username/password
are correct but ftp for ever login failure. I checked those ftp* under
/etc and was unable to find anything unusual...Here is the message I
got when try to login:

Connected to 10.5.5.9.
220 localhost.localdomain FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1-16) ready.
530 Please login with USER and PASS.
530 Please login with USER and PASS.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (10.5.5.9:root): userid
331 Password required for userid.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp>

And here is the ftp login message on the good machine:
Connected to 10.5.5.3.
220 lion.myhomedomain.home FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1-16) ready.
Name (10.5.5.3:root): userid
331 Password required for userid.
Password:
230 User userid logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

Yes I can see the difference but don't understand why they are
different and what the difference actually means. Could anyone please
give me a hand? Thanks in advance!

Alex Shi