problem with grub in redhat 9 (dual boot win98) - Linux

This is a discussion on problem with grub in redhat 9 (dual boot win98) - Linux ; I've just installed redhat9 to make a dual booting system (with win98) and am having problems with grub. (Note: my friend is sick of windows 98 virus++ and I am weaning her onto linux so I really want to get ...

  1. problem with grub in redhat 9 (dual boot win98)

    I've just installed redhat9 to make a dual booting system (with win98)
    and am having problems with grub.
    (Note: my friend is sick of windows 98 virus++ and I am weaning her onto
    linux so I really want to get this working for her!)

    The setup: I had an existing windows 98 system, that had one hard disk
    (master on ide0). I added another disk to the system, putting the new
    disk as master on ide0, and the win98 disk as the slave on ide0. Then I
    installed redhat 9 (shrike) from the three CD set.

    The problem: well, setup went fine, I rebooted, and sure enough, grub
    comes up, offering windows 98 or RedHat Linux. Selecting RedHat worked
    fine, but selecting Windows 98 caused grub to hang and not boot windows
    98. I searched on the internet for problems like this, and found a post
    of someone advising you map hd0 to hd1 and vice versa to fix the problem
    in this situation. So, I edited the windows98 section of my grub.conf to
    be as follows:

    title Windows 98
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1)
    chainloader +1

    ...which appears to be the way to do it. (I didn't edit the RedHat
    section, I left it as is).
    Now when I boot up, grub drops through to the grub command line, without
    showing a menu, which I believe is what happens when the config is wrong
    or erroneous. Can anyone advise if indeed this means my grub.conf is
    bogus, and how to fix it?
    (Funnily enough, if I type the windows98 rules at the grub command line
    as they appear above, and then type 'boot', windows 98 boots just fine!)

    My full grub.conf reads as follows:

    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.40.20-8)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    title Windows 98
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1)
    chainloader +1

    all help greatly appreciated!

    alex

    --
    to email me, remove the munger from my address

  2. Re: problem with grub in redhat 9 (dual boot win98)

    Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > all help greatly appreciated!

    .... can you give us the output of:
    # fdisk -l /dev/hd*
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    While most peoples' opinions change, the conviction of their
    correctness never does.

  3. Re: problem with grub in redhat 9 (dual boot win98)

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:58:45 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > I've just installed redhat9 to make a dual booting system (with win98)
    > and am having problems with grub.
    > (Note: my friend is sick of windows 98 virus++ and I am weaning her onto
    > linux so I really want to get this working for her!)
    >

    > title Windows 98
    > map (hd0) (hd1)
    > map (hd1) (hd0)

    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >

    > all help greatly appreciated!
    >
    > alex

    Assuming your slave drive has only one partition...

    Try the syntax (as modified above). This chainloads to the partition's
    BPB loader code (not the MBR on the slave drive.)

    --Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread